Hog Hunting - Maui

Read1t48

WKR
I am taking a vacation to Maui this summer and looking into the possibility of a 1-day archery pig hunt. Anybody have thoughts on the best way to do this? I assume I have to go with a paid outfitter? Are these pigs good to eat? I'd like to bring home the bacon!
It would be even more fun to tag along with a fellow rokslider on the island; just not sure how the process works.
Thanks.

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I'm actually looking into heading that way for axis, hog, sheep, goat and anything else I can launch an arrow at. However, I believe I'm going to end up on Lanai or Molokai. I'll be curious to hear about what you discover and how it turns out. I would definitely eat the pig I'm not to sure about the sheep or goat.

I have a friend that just hunted over there. Did pigs with an outfitter and chased goats on his own. I can try to get his info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Read1t48

WKR
Bowieknife -- thanks in advance for any info you can find.

I'll keep the rest of you guys posted on what I learn. There are obviously outfitters that do this but in my initial research, it looks like the quality and type of hunt can vary a lot. I'm not overly picky on the quality of the hunt, but I don't want to go to someone's backyard and just shoot a pig -- or get 'skunked' because the dogs or the guide was tired and the have the guide offer a pig from his freezer -- it happens, from what I've read.

Hunt Fish Kauai was the place so maybe not the same spot. His was a bait hunt. Hunted 2 nights had pigs in both nights. Made a shot second night without a recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDA

FNG
Maui Hunting Safari is worth looking into. Rodney is a stand up guy with some good places to hunt. I've never actually hunted with him, but I've talked with him at SCI. He has been guiding for over 15 years and knows what he is doing. I've hunted on some of the property that he leases (5 years ago now), and was successful on two archery hogs. I'd recommend going after Axis Deer though. They are crazy abundant, and super fun to chase with a bow. The meat is fantastic. You can definitely take the meat home with you, but you need to plan ahead. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try and get back to you quickly.

Beendare

WKR
Maui is pretty much all private access ....Perriera [guide] is my sis in laws cousin. You have to factor in 'Hawaiian time' when trying to get these folks to do anything......they do things at their own pace [read; Slow]

Be sure to get your licensing and hunter safety in months ahead of time.....see ^above.

Best eating critters are the Axis...by a long shot. Hogs are good....I can't even be around those goats when they are cooking....I get the dry heaves...much to the entertainment of my Hawaiian buddies.

I've bowhunted Maui....but its on ranches that buddies have leased.....I like the other islands better.