Best non res State for mt lion?

jmez

WKR
No hound hunting in SD where the majority of the lions and public land is located. Also residents only.

Wyoming would be good.

Not a lion hunter but am a dogman. I've done a lot of reading on lion hunting and talked to a lot of dog men. It is a totally different type of dog that they use in AZ, NM, NV than they use in the mountain states as I understand it. Michigan hounds would probably be better suited for the mountain states.

AZ is $75 for a tag OTC. I always carry one. Hoping to call one in eventually but there are plenty of guys running hounds for $3500 & up.

RoJo

WKR
I thought I would post an update, for anyone considering hunting mountain lions in Arizona. The rules have changed pretty drastically this year. Mountain lion season is no longer open year-round, for this year the season dates are Aug 24, 2018 - May 31, 2019. So it just opened today!

And the bag limit has changed to one mountain lion per calendar year statewide.

They have divided the state into 15 zones specific to mountain lion hunting. Each zone has a harvest threshold. All lion kills have to be reported (not new), but when the harvest threshold for a zone is reached, mountain lion hunting in that zone is closed. You are required to call 1-877-438-0447 before hunting to determine if the zone you are planning to hunt is closed.

A zone map and harvest thresholds are listed in the current regulation booklet.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I'd be really careful in central Idaho if you draw a hound permit. Wolves kill a pile of dogs every year. Your very safe if you stick to the country south of i-84 but you'll be treeing cats in rim rock and sage brush. It gets Western when they ground tree in a pile of brush! We kill cats that way and boy is it fun!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be really careful in central Idaho if you draw a hound permit. Wolves kill a pile of dogs every year. Your very safe if you stick to the country south of i-84 but you'll be treeing cats in rim rock and sage brush. It gets Western when they ground tree in a pile of brush! We kill cats that way and boy is it fun!