Quad!

Setup my second stand yesterday morning with the call in a cross wind and looking downwind (because what they’re SUPPOSED to do). About 10 minutes in I caught movement to my right at the end on the small field I was set up on. One, then two coyotes burned across the 40 yards opening into the woods behind the call. I figured they were going to circle downwind of the call and I’d get a crack at them. All of a sudden number three shoots across at the same spot as the first two. Right now all I’m thinking is “holy shit!”. Then the fourth hits the same spot and instead of running straight across like the first three it slowly starts trotting up the field toward the call. It’s still to my hard right so I didn’t want to shift to try and shoot. All of a sudden it stops and spooks back to where it came from. Figured it was my only chance so I swung around and he stopped looking back over his shoulder. About 130 yards out and I squeezed one off. Dog ran off. Long story I followed tracks for couple hundred yards and no blood. Went back and was able to find where the bullet hit the snow. Rushed the shot and missed.

This may not sound like that spectacular of an experience for guys that hunt these critters out west, but in the think timber here in Upper Michigan this sort of thing rarely if ever happens. I was completely shook up after that experience. Feels like I’m finally getting these critters figured out. Now I just need to slow down and make the shot count.

I’ve killed and called in more coyotes this year than I have the four years prior that I’ve been seriously hunting them. Beats ice fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk