Hung up dog

Had an interesting experience last night. Have been hearing the coyotes the last few nights up on a ridge above my house. Yesterday evening I just before dark I hiked over to this ridge and set up in behind a hay bale. I howled a few times, did some rabbit in distress and ended on pup in distress. Once it got dark and I had no visitors I hiked the draw back to the truck. No sooner than I get my pack off the pack starts screaming about 100 yards from where I was just set up. I decided to answer them and see what I heard in case it was someone else blaring an e-caller. Once I howled the others shut up and the alpha continued to bark/angrily howl. Expecting some attention from the other pack members I laid he gun over the hood. That dog stayed right in the same spot doing the short aggressive howls and barks. He would not budge though. This went on for 10-15 minutes until I drove home. From my front porch (another 500 yards) I could still hear him 2 ridges over.

Question: any way to budge a pissed off coyote or do I need to wait and set up closer to his den?

Beendare

WKR
We hunt a spot that has some educated to calling coyotes.

A decoy plus the little out of the ordinary calling works like a charm. Mojo makes a decoy...and a few others....or you can bundle up some feathers and hang them on a bush...decoys work.

OP
A
Update: went back last night and setup real close to where he was howling the night before. Waited til dark, let out a howl and he responded. A minute later he was downwind from the call/decoy (but not me) but still in cover and did the same bark/howl thing until I finally left. Talked to a local yote caller and he said he has already seen a den with pups soooo, they ain't straying too far right now. I'm gonna give him several weeks and try again.

mcseal2

WKR
I've had 3 tactics work occasionally on a yote like that. They mostly fail though.

That sound you are hearing is likely his warning barks. When I get busted I hear coyotes do that, mostly they never show and are warning other coyotes not to either. The tactic that sometimes works for me is to make the same warning barks back at them. This seems to irritate them and sometimes they will show after some time. The more they bark and yip back, the more agitated they are, the more often it seems to work. Usually when they do show they come out of the far side of the draw and gain elevation to see better what is barking at them. It makes for a longer shot but sometimes at least provides a shot. It can take a while and it works seldom enough it might not be worth the time it takes.

Option 2 is to hunt with a buddy and have him drive the truck off while you stay silently where you called from after the set. Sometimes a coyote will show up to investigate after he thinks you are gone.

Option 3 is to use a dog. I've had those coyotes come in when I took my heeler along a few times as a decoy. She will stay within 30-40yds of me and wander around, give the coyote a visual of something in their territory. I've shot big alpha male coyotes that come in all bristled up ready to fight while they look at her. My dog isn't a trained decoy dog or anything, just a good cow dog. I have to set up when I take her for longer shots. If a coyote comes storming in at 50yds she will run it off protecting me. If it's at 200yds she will just sit and watch it.

Anyway that's my best advice. Smart ones that keep the rest of their pack away suck. Sometimes I'll try to shoot them off a dead pile at daylight. If we lose a cow or decent size calf I'll put it in the area of the smart coyote where I can slip in and get a shot at first light. I try to take the biggest coyote there. Sometimes it's probably a smart female instead of the alpha male that's the problem but it's what I do.

a trail of coyote juice or urine (dog or coyote) to a nice spot in a shooting lane from their cover. they have to pee on the pee, the urge is hard to resist.