Prone Hunting Blind?

V65Magna

FNG
Hi all,

I'm just in from a ground hog hunt on a farm where I watch hedges and wood lines from anywhere from 350 out to 600 yards. Usually, I lay out my Midway shooting mat and a camp stool and tuck myself in the woods a bit and watch the fields/tree lines but I'd like something that, if effectively camouflaged, could be placed in the middle of a field. Kinda along the lines of one of those "coffin" goose blinds but designed to be used in a prone position w/bipod. Does such a thing exist? I'd use it for deer too. Thoughts?

For me, the trick would be, could my back stand it? I thought long and hard about your system, (I still hunt coyotes), and I just bought a pig saddle and a pig tripod from shadow tech. Im getting half MOA @ 200 vertically. Going over MOA horizontally. I sit on a three legged blind chair, Ghille suit, and then it's 'Game On!'

gumbl3

WKR
I don't know what kind of field we're talking.. But a hay bale blind is perfect for wide open spaces

FlyGuy

WKR
If you have a buddy or two with a coffin blind I'd try using one of those 1st. Plenty of models have a frame for the backrest that you could either pull out or leave unassembled in order to lay down the "wrong way" in it, which would end up being almost like a bivy sack. Most all of them have a waterproof tub floor which will keep you dry and clean, and the blind itself will give you some protection from the sun and the wind. I would just advise you to "brush it up" the same way a goose hunter would by grabbing some long grasses, branches, etc and placing them around the blind and tucking into the attachment points to better conceal it. Doesn't matter the brand of blind - they all look pretty obvious when they are just laying out there in the open with no brush, regardless of the camo pattern printed on them. You might also bring your inflatable sleeping pad with you, which might make it a bit more comfortable.

OP
V

V65Magna

FNG
Thanks all. I agree with the comment that being prone for any length of time is tough on the back! Also appreciate the commentary on the coffin blind,etc. I’ve always envisioned this kind of “trapezoidal” deal that would be wide enough for you to roll over on your back to rest while watching. Here is where it gets weird so work with me. You could have uninterrupted watching on you back with some kind of a portable mirror that attaches to one of the ceiling supports at a 45 degree angle and you can watch from you back (if you don’t fall asleep). When you spot the vermin, simply roll over prone to the rifle on you strong side and shoot.

I can't imagine how one could use a normal framed layout blind from the prone position. Possibly one of the unframed "low profile" types.

It seems to me that you would be better off in a ghillie suit or under a ghillie blanket. Rancho safari makes a blanket I've looked at before.

mcseal2

WKR
I used a Kifaru Paratarp like you describe once on a deer hunt. I wanted out of the mist/sleet while I watched a ravine. I could roll on my side and move a bit to relieve back issues. I put my Thermarest Z lite down and had my HPG serape for a blanket. I got in and set it up early since set up takes a few minutes and some movement, got a nap in before deer started moving.