Early Spring Coyote Tactics

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Since the breeding season is over and food sources are plentiful, it seems like this is the slowest time of year for me. I think the weather plays a big role too since it's constantly raining and windy. I really like to try and call throughout the year as much as possible but don't like to waste time and money either.

Do you guys experience slower calling this time of year too? What are some of your favorite tactics right now?

mcr-85

WKR
I've still been trapping and snaring on a sheep guys place still and haven't been calling at all since December I think. Coyote vocalizations should be pretty hot right now if you can locate an area that has a den near it. I'll be taking my cur out for her first year of decoying here in the next few weeks as well. I would think challenge howls and pup distress sounds should work great right now if you can get in the right area closer to a den.

mcseal2

WKR
We are calving now and I get several coyotes just checking cows. I'd get more if I was shooting a little better, but most of those that stop and look back this late in the year are out there a ways. They don't stop long and I am having to just guess the range and wind for a quick shot. I'm still getting a decent percentage of them, I'm up to 18 since January 1 but I definitely miss more than I do when I get them called in close. I don't seem to have much luck calling them in right now and I have been trying vocals and pup distress. I think maybe they are just to educated with the pressure in my area, I don't know. I'd think they would be pretty territorial about new coyotes coming into the cow herd that is their food source.

mcr-85

WKR
Not calling but we pulled another off the sheep pasture in a snare tonight. They sure are pretty this time of year huh?
e276b3a0dc7b14e66eccdccff1d97b5c.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk