Core4Element Down Tek vs. KUIU Super Down ?

The only thing I picked up from the video is core4 is using 650 down and kuiu is 850........ It will be interesting to see the price point of the core4 and if they stick with the 650 or go with a higher quality of down.

RUTTIN

WKR
At the Western Conservation show, I was able to see the coat first hand, it is made out of 700 fill and the price was to be 220.00 available June or July sometime.

At the Western Conservation show, I was able to see the coat first hand, it is made out of 700 fill and the price was to be 220.00 available June or July sometime.

It will be interesting to see all the specs of the core4 and see how it stacks up to Kuiu.

I have to admit, at first I was not totally sold on the super down when I first received it. But that was from my lack of knowledge on what down products are today. I have always been a wool guy and never really looked at down garments for hunting other then my hand-me-down green and orange down vest. Since getting the hooded coat in Dec. I have spent all winter wearing it and I have gone into every outdoor clothing store I come across and compare it to other high end down coats, and I have to say the more coats I look at the more I like the Kuiu super down. I think they have set the bar pretty high for the down market.

According to that data Core4 has enough down in their jacket to fill 3X the space as Kuiu

Checked Kuiu's website and they only put 2.5 ounces of down in one jacket and 1.5 in the other, Core4 has 11 ounces in theirs. I have not seen the Kuiu in person The Core4 only weighs in at 13 oz. here is a link to video test of the water proofness on the Core4.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzMBeIjgs4A

Where are you getting your numbers from? I would like to see all the specs. I'm pretty new to this stuff, but I would guess you are reading something wrong. 11oz is a lot of down.

Last edited:
Checked Kuiu's website and they only put 2.5 ounces of down in one jacket and 1.5 in the other, Core4 has 11 ounces in theirs. I have not seen the Kuiu in person The Core4 only weighs in at 13 oz. here is a link to video test of the water proofness on the Core4.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzMBeIjgs4A

You also have to take into account that 850 fill takes less weight to reach a given insulation than the 700 fill that C4E is using. I would imagine with the C4E being 3-4 oz heavier that it will be around the same warmth as the 10 oz Kuiu but having not handled either jacket I can't say for sure obviously. Grain of salt...

Mike

Craig4791

WKR
I have the superdown hooded jacket and pants and can say that they provide a ton of warmth for the weight of the garment.

Considering they are very similar technologies I would guess most guys would be happy with either one.

You also have to take into account that 850 fill takes less weight to reach a given insulation than the 700 fill that C4E is using. I would imagine with the C4E being 3-4 oz heavier that it will be around the same warmth as the 10 oz Kuiu but having not handled either jacket I can't say for sure obviously. Grain of salt...

Mike

The core4 down would supposedly fill 7700ci, the kuiu 2125ci. Big difference in amount of down in the jackets.

Craig4791

WKR
The core4 down would supposedly fill 7700ci, the kuiu 2125ci. Big difference in amount of down in the jackets.

If that's the case you would be good to go in sub zero temps as I get hot very easy in my superdown stuff. I really can't do any hiking with it on unless its flat ground and that has been in 20-30 degree temps.

I'm just going off the info other guys posted in this thread about the two products. Quality of down and fill weight.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
From Jon at core4 today,

Justin,
They will be available in mid June/July.

Jacket specs.

weight XL 13.4 ounces
Fill 750 Premium Canadian Downtek down insulation
http://down-tek.com/home/
We are putting 10 ounces of down in the jacket.
It packs into its pocket and also comes with a pack sack that doubles as a pillow when you are backpacking or camping.
It is available in Charcoal Gray, Max 1, or Mothwing Mountain Mimicry
Sizes S-3X.
We are also doing a vest.

RUTTIN

WKR
I too am no expert in down weights, just going off what I was told at the expo at Core4's booth, and what I could find on Kuiu's website, I agree with Craig4791 in that I think it is a personal preference. All I know is I can't wait for the Core4 jacket to come out, I need a insulating layer.

I too am no expert in down weights, just going off what I was told at the expo at Core4's booth, and what I could find on Kuiu's website, I agree with Craig4791 in that I think it is a personal preference. All I know is I can't wait for the Core4 jacket to come out, I need a insulating layer.

Well that is a ton of down. I have an early season down sleeping bag that has 11oz of 750 down that is good in temps down to 5C. A jacket with 10oz is going to be crazy warm! It will be interesting to see this in the flesh.

ckleeves

WKR
I checked out both at the WCE this past weekend. The Core4 is very "puffy" for sure. Nice jacket but I think I would roast in it. Good later season insulation layer.

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
by eyeball it looks to be around the size of the spindrift packed the kuiu superdown is half that size packed,the core4 looks allot bulkyer.

slim9300

WKR
It will be interesting to see all the specs of the core4 and see how it stacks up to Kuiu.

I have to admit, at first I was not totally sold on the super down when I first received it. But that was from my lack of knowledge on what down products are today. I have always been a wool guy and never really looked at down garments for hunting other then my hand-me-down green and orange down vest. Since getting the hooded coat in Dec. I have spent all winter wearing it and I have gone into every outdoor clothing store I come across and compare it to other high end down coats, and I have to say the more coats I look at the more I like the Kuiu super down. I think they have set the bar pretty high for the down market.

These are my thoughts too.