Good Gear, on a budget....

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I love to get the gear that fits, the gear that works the best. Unfortunately that comes with a price tag, and with a higher price tag more often than not. Honestly, it's going to take me years to acquire what I want. My major purchases this year alone were a a Longhunter/EMR frame, several pockets, Meindl Perfekts, and some other minor things. That alone is a major chunk of change.

I want to do a major upgrade in my spotting scope, hopefully before next season, and I want to get a little bit larger shelter before the next year for the trips I have more than me and a buddy.

So my question is this, how do you prioritize what you need to save for first on the list? What other areas do you sacrifice to get the gear you want?

dotman

WKR
Price/use. I look at how often it will be used. I also need/want a spotter but also was needing a new shelter. It was cheaper to get a good shelter this year and i'll use the shelter more often then a spotter which is why i now have a supertarp/annex. I mainly look at what will be used more when deciding on what to upgrade.

I take a look at price vs weight saved, how much it will be used, and if I have any glaring holes in equipment durability. If I really need something then it floats to the top of the purchase list, otherwise price vs weight saved is my main criteria.
Buying a lot of the stuff at the end of the year on sale is the way to go. The only thing I have payed full price for is my Kifaru gear.