Weekend Menu

gulicemo

Banned
Headed out for a quick 2 night 2 day scout of some new to me territory.

Will eat dinner Friday on the way there.

Breakfast- 2 packets of instant oatmeal with added walnuts and raisins vacuum sealed.

Lunch- PB honey and bacon tortilla with venison summer sausage and cheese. Side of trail mix and chewy bar.

Dinner- 1/2 cup dehydrated ground venison, 1/2 cup dehydrated spaghetti sauce served over 2/3 cup plain couscous.
This is my first attempt at home dehydrated meals so I cooked a tester. I must say it is tastey. It doesn't taste as processed, much more of a home cooked feel.

null_zps338c2e97.jpg

null_zpsa7d3a456.jpg

Longstride12

Lil-Rokslider
How did your home dried food taste? Was the trip a success? Need some feed back and a trip report!

• Banned
OP
gulicemo

gulicemo

Banned
Food was great. This was my first trip using home made dinners. The one thing I really enjoyed was not having the "Sodium Overload" feeling I get after eating a mountain house.

Dinner was 2/3 cup couscous, 1/2 cup dehydrated marinara, 1/2 cup dehydrated ground venison. Next time I will add more venison, probably 1 cup, and maybe a bit more sauce. I'll also add some shelf stable Parmesan. This meal re-hydrated really quickly in the cozy I whipped up.

Next on my list when I get some free time will be rice, black beans and chicken, and possibly a pesto recipe. My favorite mountain house is beef stroganoff so I suppose I will try to get something close to that.

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
I am new to dehydrating meals. How are you dehydrating the marinara? Is this something you bought because your meals sound excellent.

• Banned
OP
gulicemo

gulicemo

Banned

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the great information. I am definitely going to look into these meals. A guy can only eat so many MRE style meals.