Nikon d5100 vs d3100

cmeier117

WKR
Need some advice from you camera nerds out there. I am wanting to get rid of my Nikon d3000 and jvc everio hd camcorder and get a all in one SLR and had video cam. I know the d5100 beats the d3100 in every way and is only $50 more it seems at most places. This camera will be used for family stuff 95% of the time and be taken on the occasional scouting trip. This will not be for hunting right now and have a point and shoot for that. Any advice would be great as I have never used a all in one SLR that takes high def video but for just family movies and shooting birthday cake in the face type videos it seems like a logical choice.

One last question how does the video format on Nikon SLR video work with Macs and iMovie? That is my only othe requirement as the jvc sucks balls!!

I am really only looking at Nikon right now as I have a really 50mm f1.4 lens for it that takes awesome family pics and don't want to loose my shirt on selling that and buying a different companies lens etc....

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Cameron,

the 5100 is the superior DSLR in every way between those two.

However,

Neither are going to autofocus really well during video. The video files should work well with your Apple software.

I think you should look at a mirrorless camera if you want great video and quality stills. With an FT-1 adapter, you can use your 50/1.4 (but it would be a 135mm telephoto) on a Nikon 1 system camera. The Nikon 1s have better-than-camcorder video performance.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I was just getting ready to call you? The stills won't be as good of quality with the 1 cameras though right?

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I have been doing some some reading on the d3100, 3200, 5100, and 5200 although I am getting up there in price but just thought I would throw it out there between the first 3 you gain a better image quality with the 5100 over the 3100 and get a little better megapixels with the 3200 although I don't Need 24 megapixel and then you get wifi and a few other options. So for image quality it looks like the d3100, 5100, then the 3200 is best although not enough to justify the price diff to me between the 5100 and 3200. Because they all 3 have the same 11 point auto focus and I kinda understand what Matt is saying now after reading a few other reviews. But the 5200 has 20 point autofocus and A better processor with 60fps video. Sounds like it is more of a professional entry level video. Now I am not shooting movies other than family stuff and kid sporting events in future but for another $200 the 5200 (body only) sounds like a better deal and probably too much camera but the better video may be worth it to me?

Would you concure Matt? I may be able to get a better deal on one as I know someone who owns a camera store.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, made a trip to the range after my last post. ;)

The problem is none of the DSLRs you mentioned are going to keep up with moving subjects very well, because of how the Phase Detection autofocus system works.

The 1 system cameras have a hybrid (Phase Detection/ Contrast Detection) autofocus that tracks exceptionally well, and so they have become pretty popular with video guys.

The new 1 series cameras will have IQ pretty similar to the 3100, even though it is a smaller sensor. The D5200 will probably have an IQ advantage, at the expense of video performance. There have been a number of IQ comparisons done between the V1 and the older pro model D200, and IQ is generally regarded as identical. So the 1 series cameras do, in fact, have pretty good IQ.

Megapixels do not equal image quality. I think the D3200's 24 megapixels are pretty much good for taking up memory card space. I would put megapixels at the very bottom of the priority list. You can make a 30X40 print out of 6 megapixel camera's image.

The other advantage to the 1 system is the ridiculously fast autofocus and still picture framerate (up to 60fps full res. stills!). For shooting family and sports in good light, there is nothing faster or more accurate. the native 1 lenses are also completely silent during autofocus operation, which is great for video.

The DSLRs take the lead in low light autofocus, and IQ, due to their sensor size advantage.

I do think you will see drastically improved video autofocus in pretty much all DSLRs in the very near future, as we can see in the just released semi-pro Canon 70D, but it may take a while to filter down to consumer models.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
You have given me a lot to consider. I will have a hard time talking my wife out of a SLR as she loves having the high picture quality and high shutter speeds.

Lukem

WKR
Like BB said, the 5100 isn't the greatest for video. It takes decent quality, but there's no tracking. You either get the motor noise everytime you focus with the button, or you have to be really good with manual focus.

Megapixels are completely overrated. It's the sensor quality and the sensor size that creates a good image. Think of it this way, if two cameras have the same sensor size, but one has twice the megapixels, then each of the pixel sensors are half the size. There's only so much space on a sensor.

I'm very happy with my 5100, it takes terrific stills. I have an older Sony Handicam and a GoPro for my video, so I haven't gotten to worried about that yet. If video is a main interest, then listen to BB, because none of the lower end DSLR's will make you super happy.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Honestly right now the only video I care about is videoing my kids open their Christmas gifts or stuff cake in their face. In 3 years I would like a video camera dedicated to taking video of sports and what not. The problem with me is I am not the videoing type. We do a lot of pictures. So I was trying to get something that will do pictures as good or better than my nikon d3000 which we are really happy with and video events like I mentioned above. Both of you have given me something's to think about. Will the focusing issue will it be a non issue on non moving stagnant objects. Ie a kid opening gifts?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
You have given me a lot to consider. I will have a hard time talking my wife out of a SLR as she loves having the high picture quality and high shutter speeds.

Yeah, sometimes it is hard to get out of a set sort of ways. I wouldn't worry too much about the shutter speeds, as they are capable of the same shutter speeds. You may want to explain to her that the mirrorless cameras are just DSLRs without the mirror and optical viewfinder.

You certainly can make a DSLR work for video, and get awesome video quality, it just isn't as easy, autofocus-wise.

Love to hear how it turns out.