Duplex and Bikini

Daniel_M

WKR
Hit up Luke he has and uses both. From talking with him the deciding factor is extended heavy loads by which the use of just the Duplex frame would be worthwhile. For me, packin moose quarters.

So, I ordered a Duplex HC.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I have both and have put a ton of miles on both. My thoughts:

The one thing that is a big decider for which pack is what is the intended use. Both packs have performed flawlessly with light weight on up to 100+ lbs for me but that might not be the case for everyone. I am planning on using the pack for elk and everything smaller then that so the bikini is a winner for me. Its more comfortable with a lighter load. So day hunting with it is a dream. The duplex may suit some people better because they will be hauling out super heavy loads such as, moose. Guys who carry treestands in might prefer it too. I definitely don't feel the duplex is as comfortable with 35lbs in it as the bikini and for the style and game I hunt the bikini is the winner.

P.S. I still am keeping the Duplex and will still use it but just not as much anymore.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Joe, I read your thread on the review (good one there) and I wonder if I would ever hump out a moose that wasn't boned (doubtful) because I have hauled enough bones to know not to. Bottom line is I don't know how many miles I could hump 100+ pounds. I do live in the flat, worthless, wasteland of clay in Michigan's armpit area and haul treestands and corn but that said, I don't load it up with anything pointing inward as I use a Camelbak (in the pouch, not hacked off) and it is on the outside of the pack. Corn goes inside. Does that new fancy meat strap that goes between the pack and frame work on the Bikini as well? I bought the cargo panel and wonder if I would ever use it. My whole setup is in Highlander. What do you use the Duplex for?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Thanks man. Yes the meat shelf will fit on the Bikini frame, BUT this is definitely not my preferred way of doing it. I will run my DT1 during hunting season and put the meat inside the pack. This way I'm not putting any weight further out then needed. The cargo panel does serve its purpose but I also opted out of that because I just use the bag as my meat hauler. I just find it simpler that way. I can see the use for it if you were day hunting with lets say, the DT3 pack. But if you have a DT1 I just don't see the need for it. I use the Duplex for training to be honest. I use it with a DT2 and two huge bags of duck taped rice in it. Don't get me wrong, I will still use it in some hunting situations but its not my go-to frame for every day use.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have both. The more I use the Bikini the less I see a need for the duplex. Outside of military use or very awkward loads I see no reason not to go with the bikini. It easily hauls 100 plus pound loads and if we are honest most aren't going to carry north of the 100 pound mark very often. I am with Joe on the load shelve. Put the meat in the main bag and your camp in the grab-it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Joe, I read your thread on the review (good one there) and I wonder if I would ever hump out a moose that wasn't boned (doubtful) because I have hauled enough bones to know not to. Bottom line is I don't know how many miles I could hump 100+ pounds. I do live in the flat, worthless, wasteland of clay in Michigan's armpit area and haul treestands and corn but that said, I don't load it up with anything pointing inward as I use a Camelbak (in the pouch, not hacked off) and it is on the outside of the pack. Corn goes inside. Does that new fancy meat strap that goes between the pack and frame work on the Bikini as well? I bought the cargo panel and wonder if I would ever use it. My whole setup is in Highlander. What do you use the Duplex for?

Actually if you come to Alaska to hunt moose, many game units require meat to be left on the bone. I think both frames are great, but if I could only have one I'd go Duplex all the way. That said I'll be in my Bikini frame a LOT more than my Duplex frame this year. But yeah only one frame to pick from for my uses it'd be the duplex for sure. I agree with ArmyJoe that the Duplex isn't quite as comfy as the Bikini with daypack load weights, but once you get up to "going in" weights of 50-70 pounds they feel pretty comparable IMO. And for packing out meat quarters on the bone the Duplex is the obvious choice for me.

cmeier117

WKR
I have both and the Bikini will be getting all the use for me. Honestly I look at it like this, if a buddy called me up and said he needed help hauling out some huge Roosevelt Elk he just shot I would grab the Duplex with Highcamp bag, but I see no need to switch the pack if I took the first load out with the Bikini and take the Duplex for the rest. I love both packs and both haul over 100lbs very nicely. Think of it this way, which is colder? -30 degrees or -40 degrees? Well I don't know, all I do know is both are really fricken cold!!!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both also. The Bikini will do it all 99% of the time. If you plan on hauling akward loads that will need some structure to help stabilize it, then the Duplex would fit better, although the Bikin would do it, just not as well.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also wouldn't get rid of either. Kifaru stuff is like a gun, once you own it, I try and keep it. If it is obsolete, then maybe sell.

I have both (T2 and Bikini) :), and I must admit, I don't dig the Bikini. I LOVE my T2. I dont think they are even close.

I honestly can not tell the difference when you look at the suspension but the Bikini will not stay on my hips with weight and my T2 is as solid as it gets. Same size, same settings (visually), same stays. I can NOT figure it out...I honestly wish i had the duplex instead...but I cant get myself to part with the Bikini - i know it makes no sense :)

Daniel_M

WKR
I have both (T2 and Bikini) :), and I must admit, I don't dig the Bikini. I LOVE my T2. I dont think they are even close.

I honestly can not tell the difference when you look at the suspension but the Bikini will not stay on my hips with weight and my T2 is as solid as it gets. Same size, same settings (visually), same stays. I can NOT figure it out...I honestly wish i had the duplex instead...but I cant get myself to part with the Bikini - i know it makes no sense :)

I know a few guys that would part with a Duplex if you are so inclined.... ahem..ahem..

AK_LOST

FNG
Shoot! I'm from Alaska! Dangit, I was dead set on that bikini now you guys have me thinking otherwise. I sheep and moose hunt and the bikini/high camp looked like a sweet setup. Does anyone know if a bone in moose quarter can fit in the high camp bag?

Shrek

WKR
I wouldn't doubt the bikini decision one bit. It's a lot lighter and imo more comfortable and will carry just about anything a duplex will. I'm not sure if you can get a whole bone in moose quarter in the bag but you can definitely lash it to the frame. The duplex may carry an extreme load a little better but the rest of the time it's a heavy dog comparatively. A 7000 high camp is a really big bag and add some ul pods and you can load enough to hurt yourself. Get the meat shelf and put the quarter on the frame and cinch the bag down as a load panel and stagger away.

Kotaman

WKR
I'm in the same boat as Jeff Martin. Sold my T2 for the Bikini and regretted it ever since. Sooooo, I sold the Bikini and ordered ANOTHER T2! Can't help with a Duplex...Never owned one. Someone shoot me if I ever get rid of T2 #2.

The T2 is just so solid.

Im with Luke. Have both. both are sweet, but if I had to pick just one it would be the duplex. Super solid on my back. With that said I plan on using the bikini alot.

Brandon... I've carried 150+ in my bikini and 220+ in the duplex. Think of it like buying a truck. If you don't haul much or you just pull smaller stuff around then a F150 loaded will do the job. If you ever need to haul the huge load that comes up every once and a while you'll wish you had a F350 Dually. But do you really want to drive the dually around all the time for that one chance you may need to haul 20,000 lbs? I personally love the bikini. Vents, carries more comfortably and its lighter. But the Duplex can still do everything the bikini can plus some. But you give up creature comfort and weight. I wish I would've kept my duplex frame for hauling stands and other awkward loads like human beings and such. But if you don't plan on doing any of that with it, rock the bikini and be done with it!