Gear Dump Help

sfc2140

FNG
I am less than 30 days out until I leave Souther Ca to Idaho for my first DIY Elk hunt. I have been accumulating gear over the past year in hopes that I will be ready for my hunt. I have been obsessed with organizing and packing and repacking my gear to see how its going to fit and feel.

What I was hoping to do was do a bag dump to share what I got so far and take any suggestions whether its to delete some items or add more. I have not gotten my food items set yet. Also not pictured is my Rifle. I will be shooting a Tikka T3 Stainless 7mm Rem Mag I have a Leupold Vx5hd 3x15 scope and will be shooting Nosler 168gr Accubond

IMG_6805.jpg
Bag:
-Exo Mountain 3500
-3L Platypus

Clothing:

-Sitka Kelty light hoody
-Sitka Traverse
-Sitka Mountain Pants
-Sitka Medium bottoms
-Sitka ls Merino wool Shirt
-REI Merino wool socks x2
-REI heavy wool socks
-First Light undies

Camping:
IMG_6817.jpg
-Nemo hornet Elite 2p
-Nemo hornet 2p Foot print
-Nemo nocturne 15 degree bag (Stuffed in a Sea to Summit Compression sack)
-Nemo tensor sleeping pad

Gear:
(Kifaru XS light weight pullout)
-chapstick
-Black Diamond 750 Lumen Head lamp
-5.11 500 lumen flash light
-havalon piranta knife w/6 blades

(Kifaru Small Light weight pullout)
-Sawyer water filter
-rain poncho
-Hand Santizer wipes x4

(Kifaru Medium Light weight Pullout)
IMG_6816.jpg
-JetBoil Flash
-Fuel Cannister x2
-Colman Waterproof matches x3
-500ft mil spec cord

(Kifaru Large Light weight Pullout)
-Sitka Merino Medium weight bottoms
-Sitka LS Merino wool Shirt
-REI Merino Wool Socks x3

Optics/Electronics:
IMG_6806.jpg
-Vortex Razor Spotting Scope
-Vortex Viper HD 10x50 Binos
-Vortex Ranger 1500 Range Finder
-Vortex Summit Tri-Pod
-Pictured but sold Garmin 64st ( Replaced with Garmin In reach with maps)
-Sony RX 100 mkV w/2 batteries
-Ipone 6s Plus
-anker power core 13000 mAh
-Garmin Fenix 5s watch (This watch replaced my Series 2 Apple watch and I love it. Battery Life on this watch is amazing. Activity tracking is flawless and very accurate.)

-Costco Walking Sticks
IMG_6815.jpg

-Alaska Guide Creations Bino Harness

(Missing)
Kill Kit- I have procrastinated assuming that I can order anytime and when I checked on the Rokslide store they were back ordered. I put in my order this morning for a Magnum Caribou game bag Kit.

I feel that I am close with my gear but when I look at it, I feel that Im still miles away, plus there is always room for improvement. My 11 year old son will be with me and I will be carrying the brunt of the load he will carry in his own clothes and sleeping bag and food. I think my biggest concern is having not done this before just having a brain fart and forgetting or overlooking a crucial piece of gear. I am debating on picking up a Goal Zero solar kit to keep electronics charged but haven't decided on one yet.

Most Everything on this list is new. I spend the last year going over different sites and different places to get deals on everything. I believe the only items that I paid full price for was the Items I bought at REI which was only 3 or 4 items.

My challenge is now going to be food. I would like to be a little more creative than just mountain house type foods.

If anyone has any Ideas for me or constructive criticism for my gear and anything I should add is much appreciated.

Looks like you are off to a good start. I prefer mini bic lighters to matches. May dump a pack or 2 of those. How long is the trip? Anything 10 days or under I just run a battery the same size as yours without worry of needing a solar panel. I keep my phone in airplane mode in the backcountry to keep from draining the battery. Some duct tape wrapped around a trekking pole can come in handy if you need to do any repairs to gear or oneself. Don't see any personal hygiene or first aid items. A multi-tool or more substantial knife for camp chores or making repairs to gear over just a havalon. I carry back up batteries for my head lamp but always put in fresh ones before leaving so may actually axe them myself. Nalgene bottle or lightweight mug is nice to have for drinking. Can add some emergen-C or other mix easier than a bladder. Don't forget a spork or other eating utensil. Good luck to you and your boy. Hope you have an awesome trip.

KurtR

WKR
Last year was my first time in Idaho and that list is close to mine this year. I didn't have a wind blocking layer last year and that was something I really needed. The sitka flash pull over is doing it this year. Don't know where you are but mid to low 20's not out of the question that time in October. I have my gear list at work and will post it tomorrow

You've packed 5 pair of wool socks if I read that right. No need for that amount when carrying camp on your back. I don't know much about sitka gear but, I'm assuming something is water proof. Personally, I'd drop the spotter and tripod. First elk hunt means quality isn't as important. If it's got horns and is legal, you'll know it with the bino's. Since you'll be glassing looking for them with the bino's, there is no need for the spotter and tripod. I'd drop the watch. The gps should have an alarm and clock. No need to track distance or such. That means you could drop the phone and charger. I don't wear underwear so, I'd drop that for some Gold Bond powder and up my wet wipes. Clean and not bundled up is liberating. I'd drop the 500" of paracord and buy a roll of tech line from DIY gear supply. Much lighter and compact. One thing I like I don;t see on your list is a small silnylon or lightweight poly based tarp fro putting up at camp. It's a great place to store gear, meat, dry clothes, etc..... Plus, I'd add a Nalgene bottle as stated above.

Aside from the spotter and tripod and, the extra socks, the rest is just what I prefer over what you have listed. You may not share those preferences.
God Bless

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
Looks like you are off to a good start. I prefer mini bic lighters to matches. May dump a pack or 2 of those. How long is the trip? Anything 10 days or under I just run a battery the same size as yours without worry of needing a solar panel. I keep my phone in airplane mode in the backcountry to keep from draining the battery. Some duct tape wrapped around a trekking pole can come in handy if you need to do any repairs to gear or oneself. Don't see any personal hygiene or first aid items. A multi-tool or more substantial knife for camp chores or making repairs to gear over just a havalon. I carry back up batteries for my head lamp but always put in fresh ones before leaving so may actually axe them myself. Nalgene bottle or lightweight mug is nice to have for drinking. Can add some emergen-C or other mix easier than a bladder. Don't forget a spork or other eating utensil. Good luck to you and your boy. Hope you have an awesome trip.

IMG_6821.jpg
IMG_6820.jpg

I will be in Idaho for 6 days hunting for 4 of them. I do have a First Aid kid its a generic one I picked up from walmart but added moleskin, advil, tylenol pm, insect cream, burn cream, more sanitizer wipes, tums (just in case ). I had this packed for a long time but was in another bag. Glad you mentioned it so I could grab it and stick it with my gear :)

I think some duct tape is a good idea. I planned on bringing my shaker bottle that I will use to mix up my Mtn Ops drinks. Never thought of emergen-C but that might be a good add as well.

On a Side note I went to Costco today with the wifey and found a 60x70 down throw I would assume similar to the Kifaru Woobie but a little smaller. its filled with 700 down fill and comes with a sack that it compresses into. I figured for 19$ it was worth giving it a shot small enought to get in the pack and light enough where I wont notice the weight.
IMG_6822.jpg

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
You've packed 5 pair of wool socks if I read that right. No need for that amount when carrying camp on your back. I don't know much about sitka gear but, I'm assuming something is water proof. Personally, I'd drop the spotter and tripod. First elk hunt means quality isn't as important. If it's got horns and is legal, you'll know it with the bino's. Since you'll be glassing looking for them with the bino's, there is no need for the spotter and tripod. I'd drop the watch. The gps should have an alarm and clock. No need to track distance or such. That means you could drop the phone and charger. I don't wear underwear so, I'd drop that for some Gold Bond powder and up my wet wipes. Clean and not bundled up is liberating. I'd drop the 500" of paracord and buy a roll of tech line from DIY gear supply. Much lighter and compact. One thing I like I don;t see on your list is a small silnylon or lightweight poly based tarp fro putting up at camp. It's a great place to store gear, meat, dry clothes, etc..... Plus, I'd add a Nalgene bottle as stated above.

Aside from the spotter and tripod and, the extra socks, the rest is just what I prefer over what you have listed. You may not share those preferences.
God Bless

I didnt think of adding a tarp due to size and space. I agree i think it would be nice to have space to put gear clothes etc. Just havent considered it yet. I did think about getting footprint for 3p or 4p tent and using that since it compacts down to nothing. I ordered a Nalgene bottle from Kifaru this afternoon. - Thank you sir for your input.

I do have my Navy Issue desert digi camo Rain jacket that I will bring on me. depending on the weather forecast I will leave it in the truck. If there is any chance of rain Ill figure a way to bring it with me and at least leave it in camp until needed.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Ditch the spotter, watch, and phone. If you don't have a tripod mount for your binos ditch that too. Cut the cord down to 100 ft max. I prefer some 1.8mm over 550, but 550 will work. Spare batteries for the headlamp. I also wouldn't bring a whole box of ammo. 5 or 6 rounds is plenty for 1 tag.

Most important is make sure your son is comfortable. As someone mentioned a lightweight tarp can make a huge improvement to camp if the weather doesn't cooperate. 2 people in your little Nemo will be brutal for an extended stay.

Good luck and enjoy the outdoors with your boy!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I'd drop the 500" of paracord and buy a roll of tech line from DIY gear supply. Much lighter and compact. /QUOTE]

100 feet of tech line weights 1.8 oz, really? 100 foot of paracord weights 7.3 oz and 100 feet of the stuff I'm carrying weights about 10 oz. guess I had better get me some tech line. Braking strength of tech line is about 80 pounds less then the paracord but for what were doing with it that isn't an issue.

KurtR

WKR
here is my list and after last year feel like i filled a bunch of holes. I like my spoter to take picks so it is worth it to me to bring it. My rifle is heavy but i shoot it alot and have confidence when i pull the trigger so it is coming with me. The reason i went cimaron with stove is it seemed to be wet last year and having the option to dry out will be nice. My buddy has the main water filter and he has drops for back up. we are planning for 5 days. I am sure i will learn a bunch of lessons again this year but that is part of the fun. when i checked i was right around 62 pounds or so

cloths
sitka light wieght
sitka quarter zip
kelvin active
sitka flash
traverse gloves
wool mittens
first lite bottoms
2 darn tough sock
1 first lite sock
timberline pants
beanie
rain poncho

shelter
cimmaron
lite outdoors stove
outdoor vitals 0 bag
klymit insulated sleeping pad
tyvek ground sheet
10x10 tarp

pack
kifaru 24" hunter frame reckoning
1 med pouch
guide lid
costco walking sticks worked great last year

optics
85 razor spotter
8x42 diamond backs
tripod
bushnell elite 1600 range finder
phone skope and phone for pics

rifle is a 6.5 creedmoor @ 12 pounds

kill kit
havalon
black ovis bags and every thing it comes with

food
jet boil flash
mountain house
all in 1 gallon bags
stuff I make
nalgene bottle and bag I will hang at camp

random
leukotape
first aid kit
tenacious tape
hygene kit
para cord 100'

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
I was considering a small hatchet of some sorts to gather and chop some firewood in camp. Do you guys bring a hatchet with you or just gather any Loose wood for fires?

ljalberta

WKR
From just a quick browse of the list, I would say I agree with ditching the spotter. However, bring the tripod with a bino adapter. If you haven't tried glassing with binos from a tripod, it's gonna change your game. I always bring my phone (pictures/satellite imagery/GAIA GPS). Plus, in my experience, the Inreaches are 100x easier to use when blue toothed with your phone (I have the Delorme model - not the Garmin). I also don't take paracord anymore, but love the cordage options from Lawson Equipment.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
I will second the Leuko tape. Stays put, even when wet for blister prevention etc. Its the best addition to my pack in years, but I tend to get blisters easily.

Owenst7

WKR
View attachment 57377
View attachment 57378

I will be in Idaho for 6 days hunting for 4 of them. I do have a First Aid kid its a generic one I picked up from walmart but added moleskin, advil, tylenol pm, insect cream, burn cream, more sanitizer wipes, tums (just in case ). I had this packed for a long time but was in another bag. Glad you mentioned it so I could grab it and stick it with my gear :)

I think some duct tape is a good idea. I planned on bringing my shaker bottle that I will use to mix up my Mtn Ops drinks. Never thought of emergen-C but that might be a good add as well.

On a Side note I went to Costco today with the wifey and found a 60x70 down throw I would assume similar to the Kifaru Woobie but a little smaller. its filled with 700 down fill and comes with a sack that it compresses into. I figured for 19$ it was worth giving it a shot small enought to get in the pack and light enough where I wont notice the weight.
View attachment 57376

I have two of those quilts and love them for my hammock. I use one as an underquilt and one as a top quilt. At 14.6 ounces, they're a really nice option when I don't expect it to get colder than maybe 45-50 at night. I'm 5'10" and can tuck it under my feet comfortably and it covers my shoulders if I sleep with it over me diagonally.

I'll second/third/whatever switching paracord to something lighter. I switched all the guylines on my shelter to Lawson Glowire and couldn't be happier. I use that stuff everywhere now because it's super light, tough, and extremely reflective. I got a color that I can see easily in vegetation in daylight so I can cut up a guyline and use it to mark a blood trail if I need to. It's easier to untie knots from than paracord too, especially if the paracord got wet while it was under tension.

I was considering a small hatchet of some sorts to gather and chop some firewood in camp. Do you guys bring a hatchet with you or just gather any Loose wood for fires?

I carry two sire saws. Light and while not as handy for certain things, they'll cut wood much better than chopping lengths with a hatchet.

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
Leukotape has been added. Thanks for the suggestion.

So I have a food question. I was considering smoking salmon and sealing it up with the food saver, how long can I realistically keep it fresh with out going bad? Should I put it through a dehydrator too or is smoking it enough?

Owenst7

WKR
Leukotape has been added. Thanks for the suggestion.

So I have a food question. I was considering smoking salmon and sealing it up with the food saver, how long can I realistically keep it fresh with out going bad? Should I put it through a dehydrator too or is smoking it enough?

I carried it in the summers in Alaska and never had issues with it for 2-3 days, even opened. Ive never been able to stretch it farther than that because it was eaten too fast :). My grandmother always said she "hot packed" it, and i think that makes a difference.

The foil packets from the grocery store arent bad, theyre just bland. Theyre cheap and last indefinitely though.