Butting in on want ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

welpro222

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Heys guys, I have seen alot of members butting in and interfering with others want to buy ads. Please leave the ad alone unless you have an item you want to sell to the member who is looking for it. I've been seeing people butt in after a response is posted and ask if they can buy it or how much? Please place your own want to buy ad if your looking for an item.

BigSky

WKR
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Heys guys, I have seen alot of members butting in and interfering with others want to buy ads. Please leave the ad alone unless you have an item you want to sell to the member who is looking for it. I've been seeing people butt in after a response is posted and ask if they can buy it or how much? Please place your own want to buy ad if your looking for an item.

Or, at a minimum, send a pm telling the "offeror" that if the OP is not interested to please contact you because you may be.

Last edited:

colersu22

WKR
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Or, at a minimum, send a pm telling the "offeror" that if the OP is not interested to please contact you because you may be.

I have got a few deals this way. See them post in a WTB and PM them that if the original poster isn't interested to let me know, just got a brand new exo 2000 that way last week.

OP
W

welpro222

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

I have done this too, putting myself in second place thru PM. I don't make the rules and I don't have any right here to tell people what to do. I just get irritated when I see offers and "i'll take its" posted on someone else's want ad, even if its a joke.

OP
W

welpro222

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here is a good example:

I run a pawn shop here in Bellingham, WA and when I'm making a deal with a customer to buy something from them, a customer shopping comes up and offers more or interferes with my deal. They get booted out of my store or if a new customer, a warning.

aggieland

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is a good example:

I run a pawn shop here in Bellingham, WA and when I'm making a deal with a customer to buy something from them, a customer shopping comes up and offers more or interferes with my deal. They get booted out of my store or if a new customer, a warning.

Lol, I love it. Umm yeah, you can leave the premises now. The old man on pawn stars says I will let security remove you from the store.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I sure wish RS would require posters to act within the Paypal guidelines. I see a majority of guys advertising to pay using PP friends and family on the purchase of goods. Not only does this eliminate the buyers protection from fraud by Paypal but it is a clear violation of their policy and a blatant ripoff of PP who is providing a valid service and deserves to get their small fee for it. Ethics, ya know? Moreover, many of us have paypal business accts so violating the policy could cost you big time if PP closes your account (which they are entitled to do if you violate their terms). It should be Standard Operating Procedure to require sellers to refrain from openly circimventing Paypal's policies and abide by them by NOT asking for the friends & Family gift option and for them to pay the 3% fee they agreed to when establishing their PP acct. Add that 3% to your sales price but do not ask others to add it, that's another violation of Paypal's agreement. In addition, sellers who accept gift funds from buyers are opening themselves up to huge repercussions and a minimum $2500.00 per instance penalty. Per the PP website:

Actions We May Take if You Engage in Any Restricted Activities

If we believe that you’ve engaged in any of these activities, we may take a number of actions to protect PayPal, its customers and others at any time in our sole discretion. The actions we make take include, but are not limited to, the following:
Terminate this user agreement and/or close or suspend your PayPal account, and we may refuse to provide the PayPal services to you in the future.

Limit your access to our websites, software, systems (including any networks and servers used to provide any of the PayPal services) operated by us or on our behalf, your PayPal account or any of the PayPal services, including limiting your ability to pay or send money with any of the payment methods linked to your PayPal account, restricting your ability to send money or make withdrawals.

Hold your PayPal balance for up to 180 days if reasonably needed to protect against the risk of liability or if you have violated our Acceptable Use Policy.

Suspend your eligibility for PayPal’s Purchase Protection program and/or PayPal’s Seller Protection program.

Contact buyers who have purchased goods or services from you using PayPal, your bank or credit card issuer, other impacted third parties or law enforcement about your actions.

Update inaccurate information you provided us.

Take legal action against you.

If you’ve violated our Acceptable Use Policy, then you’re also responsible for damages to PayPal caused by your violation of this policy.

If you are a seller and you violate the Acceptable Use Policy, then in addition to being subject to the above actions you will be liable to PayPal for the amount of PayPal's damages caused by your violation of the Acceptable Use Policy. You acknowledge and agree that $2,500.00 U.S. dollars per violation of the Acceptable Use Policy is presently a reasonable minimum estimate of PayPal's actual damages considering all currently existing circumstances, including the relationship of the sum to the range of harm to PayPal that reasonably could be anticipated because, due to the nature of the violations of the Acceptable Use Policy, actual damages would be impractical or extremely difficult to calculate. PayPal may deduct such damages directly from any existing PayPal balance in any PayPal account you control.

If we close your PayPal account or terminate your use of the PayPal services for any reason, we’ll provide you with notice of our actions and make any unrestricted funds held in your PayPal account available for withdrawal.

You are responsible for all reversals, chargebacks, claims, fees, fines, penalties and other liability incurred by PayPal, any PayPal customer, or a third party caused by or arising out of your breach of this agreement, and/or your use of the PayPal services. You agree to reimburse PayPal, any PayPal customer, or a third party for any and all such liability.

got-ethics.jpg

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
A couple thoughts:
1) I am willing to bet most people didn't read PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy and was unaware of any breach by using Friends and Family.

2) I am willing to bet most people use the "Friends and Family or buyer adds fee" practice because it seems to be Standard Operating Procedure for Rokslide classifieds, not because they are deliberately giving PayPal the finger.

Ignorant? Yes
Unethical? No

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Gee I wonder what percentage of inmates in prison think they are innocent because they were ignorant of the law? Everyone knows the use of the gift option is solely to sidestep paying the fee. Ethical business owners view this practice differently than those who are just out for themselves. I agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Claiming ignorance should not excuse anyone from breaking PayPal's policy - I was simply pointing out the majority of users would probably happily comply if they actually read the damn thing.

I agree with your sentiments, I just don't agree we should imply everyone is unethical for using F&F. Besides, I thought we were all Friends and Family on Rokslide anyway...

Broomd

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Claiming ignorance should not excuse anyone from breaking PayPal's policy - I was simply pointing out the majority of users would probably happily comply if they actually read the damn thing.

I agree with your sentiments, I just don't agree we should imply everyone is unethical for using F&F. Besides, I thought we were all Friends and Family on Rokslide anyway...
Yep, frankly I regard plenty of guys here as 'friends' --it comes down to semantics of who is correctly deemed a 'friend'...
That said, some I don't know and I will expect a fee paid, either from them or paid by me. I weigh each transaction and have a clear conscience.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yep, frankly I regard plenty of guys here as 'friends' --it comes down to semantics of who is correctly deemed a 'friend'...
That said, some I don't know and I will expect a fee paid, either from them or paid by me. I weigh each transaction and have a clear conscience.

What Broomd said!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Wait till someone screws you and you wish you had PP's buyer protection (which you forfeit with F&F). Some people are genetically predisposed to learning things the hard way. I have had four instances of fraud/theft/failed shipping and PP always refunded every cent. But I play by their rules and appreciate the service they provide. I do not circumvent their agreement terms. To those who do and then brag about it online, clearly the policy posted in #10 was too much for you to read. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.