Hunting Pack for $400 or less

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm relatively new to backpack hunting. I grew up in the south and moved to North Idaho and have lived up here for almost three years now. Ive been using my hiking/camping pack for hunting. Its great except for the pack out. Any advise on hunting pack for about $400 or less would be greatly appreciated.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I recommend a used Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, or Exo Mountain Gear pack. Try as many of them as you can and pick whichever suits your needs best.

Rating - 91.7%
22   2   0
If you want a camo pattern I suggest Sitka or KUIU also. Send me a PM if you want my thoughts or more info I guess.

Get excited!

team3t

WKR
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I recommend a used Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, or Exo Mountain Gear pack. Try as many of them as you can and pick whichever suits your needs best.

Great advice. Kuiu is not a bad pack to add to the list. I have packed loads with all mentioned and all seem to do the job.

Find what fits best and which size of bag you will need based on your needs.

Some solid lightweight packs posted here daily.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Kuiu and Sitka are not in the same class as the packs I mentioned. Both work great if you don't plan to put much weight in them and are careful with them.

Edit to add: color/camo pattern is about the last thing I think about when choosing a hunting pack.

OP
451longgun
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been fortunate enough to usually get my bull and help a friend or two pack theirs. So something that can handle some weight would be great.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Good advice here ^^^ .

MR, Kifaru, Exo and Stone Glacier are the top tier frame and suspension systems and make darn good packs to boot. I feel the Kuiu packs are also an excellent product for the money, they just don't happen to fit my body or the way I work in the back country and I have some reservations about what the hell I do when a carbon fiber frame cracks and the company solution is for me to buy the next gen frame at full retail.

Look through the first 5-8 pages of this classifieds section. There are good prices on some Exo gear and they are good people...they've actually reached out by email and regular mail outside the marketing barrage to see how the pack performed. Also several Kifaru pack bags and frames on here now...I've seen a DT1, DT2, Mountain Warrior, and Argali all on here The Kifaru stuff is going to be the highest dollar and have the highest resale generally, typically only falling $20-50 off retail even after extended use. It's also going to survive whatever you can put it through. Trouble with the premier stuff is its hard to just "try it on" in a store...it isn't in stores.

Others will think differently, but if I were looking for available retail outlet gear under that price point, I'd look at Eberlestock. My hunting partner scoffs at the coin I dropped on my system and will be carrying his JP9 Blue Widow until he dies most likely. $299 on Amazon.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So I just noticed...over at Kifaru.net

Markhor @ 4800 CI is $150 right now in solid colors in the Rhino Den
Nomads are on sale for $172 in solid colors

Lurk on here for a frame, guide lid, and pockets and you're set and will be "In the neighborhood" of $400. If considering the nomad don't sweat the camp bag and use the biggest dry bag you can find (55L or so) for the center panel. If you have a few months to save a few more bucks so much the better. Either of these sale bags can serve as the basis of a single system that you can use from the mild to the wild in terms of capacity.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a used, first gen, exo 3500 off here for a little over 300$. Easily the best purchase I've ever made hunting gear wise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan F

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a brand new MR marshall and frame from a solid guy on here for $425. Also bought a MR cabinet for something smaller, both have been the most comfortable packs I've ever worn. Handles heavy loads with ease. If you shop around long enough, you can get great deals on really great stuff here on rokslide.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There is an excellent looking used Kifaru bikini frame and highcamp 7000 with 3 external pockets for $450 on the recent rokslide classified adds here! If you don't want the 3 extra pockets I think it was $350. That's a great pack, frame, and deal! The username is Bramk! Hope that helps.

pwsINC

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I live my markhor. If its still on sale in rhino den then i think thats a great route to go! And the. A frame. If your tight money at that point and feel you NEED exterior storage I think the markhor will fit palls/molle webbing pouches of some sizes and you could pick these up on the cheap by condor or whomever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

pwsINC

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another one that gets you definitly under your price is the Horn Hunter Full Curl system. You can find them on here in the $200 range. Pretty functional load lifters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ams

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity what is your height and what is your weight? And how many days are you planning on hunting? Last question what kind of Pac are you using now?

OP
451longgun
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Height 6' weight athletic 250, days hunting 1-5 the pack ive been using for longer hunts is my old backpacking pack that is a Alps internal frame.

puck60

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery Ranch site has the Wolf Alpha / Nice frame for $380.00 on closeout. I bought one and it is very nice. The bag can be run in patrol (lower position) of RECCE (upper position). The Bag has fiberglass stays built in for load lift.

Jauwater

WKR
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Buy a Kifaru UL Frame, and cargo net. Then cut off your shoulder straps, and waist belt on your backpacking pack you've been using. Use the cargo net to compress the cut up pack to your frame. Keep your eye on a bag you want, and purchase it when it comes through the classifieds. You could get the frame and cargo net brand new for around $400. Then 8-12 months down the road buy the bag you really want for the frame. That's what I'd do.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk