FNG Upstate SC

tntrker

WKR
Thanks for the add. Born, raised, hunted whitetail all my young youth in Middle TN. Joined the US Navy in 86 and moved to SC in 90 with a friend. I'm married and live in upstate South Carolina and continue to hunt and fish here. Headed to Montana for my dream elk hunt last of Oct into Nov which is a guided pack in rifle hunt. I'll be driving there and stopping in TN to p/u my childhood friend which is his 1st Elk as well. We could have went to Utah but Montana has been my dream hunt since I was 6 yrs old hunting with a 410 slug. Reading about those adventures in Field & Stream and Outdoor life penetrated and never left my soul. We turned 50 this year and decided we better start living the dream or keep dreaming. I have enough Sitka gear for 60 degrees to 0 degrees, Shnees and Rocky boots, a new Leupold VX-5HD 3.5-15x44 that is sitting on my Savage 116 30-06 and shooting MOA at 400 yds. even before my CDS dial has arrived. I've been hiking these foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns since Feb and feel good physical wise. I will start riding a friends horse next month to harden up that end some. Just anxious to see the real mountains, see my breath in the mountain air while listening to the bugle of a bull has always been the dream. I realize I may be hard pressed to hear a bugle Oct-Nov, but the dream is still there...

Welcome to the site...I sure to miss that part of the world! I hope I can call it home again one of these days.

Last edited:

67bronco

FNG
Im in the same boat. Been talking about going for a few years. Hadnt been able to get anyone to commit to join me when it clmes down to it. Decided im just gonna drive out there and learn the hard way. Hopefully meet some locals over some breakfast and strike up some new friendships along the way. Good luck on that elk hunt. Figured id start small

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the add. Born, raised, hunted whitetail all my young youth in Middle TN. Joined the US Navy in 86 and moved to SC in 90 with a friend. I'm married and live in upstate South Carolina and continue to hunt and fish here. Headed to Montana for my dream elk hunt last of Oct into Nov which is a guided pack in rifle hunt. I'll be driving there and stopping in TN to p/u my childhood friend which is his 1st Elk as well. We could have went to Utah but Montana has been my dream hunt since I was 6 yrs old hunting with a 410 slug. Reading about those adventures in Field & Stream and Outdoor life penetrated and never left my soul. We turned 50 this year and decided we better start living the dream or keep dreaming. I have enough Sitka gear for 60 degrees to 0 degrees, Shnees and Rocky boots, a new Leupold VX-5HD 3.5-15x44 that is sitting on my Savage 116 30-06 and shooting MOA at 400 yds. even before my CDS dial has arrived. I've been hiking these foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns since Feb and feel good physical wise. I will start riding a friends horse next month to harden up that end some. Just anxious to see the real mountains, see my breath in the mountain air while listening to the bugle of a bull has always been the dream. I realize I may be hard pressed to hear a bugle Oct-Nov, but the dream is still there...
Welcome. Sounds like you have a solid plan all the essentials and a good friend or two now you just need the weather and elk to follow the script. Good luck out there nothing better than chasing a dream

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
Good luck!! I'm wanting to bow hunt but I'm not sure if this chance will start coming around again so taking a rifle. Went with a guide hunt in hopes of learning how, what and what not to do for self elk hunts in the future. Not sure if I can shake the sense of being a walking snack or dinner to something and being alone. Need a partner so at least have a "chance" of surviving by out running them..haha.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I too am in the upstate of SC. Just got back from a few weeks in Wy and MT. You will have a great time!