East texas checking in

New here but been stalking info on sheep hunts for a while. Life long hunter but always down to get hit with some knowledge. Planning a sheep hunt in October 2019.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome. Must be exciting to research and gear up for a sheep hunt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
C
Well, its a poor mans sheep but a sheep nonetheless! I have primarily hunted whitetail, swine, predators etc in the central texas area. After shooting some of the biggest whitetail I can hope to in that area, I started finding a new itch to scratch. I shot my first exotic, a 20" black buck, last year. Since then i've done tons of looking at new things. My immediate list is the aoudad and then proghorn in wyo. Definitely have a big muley and Elk on the bucket list too. Still in the process of acquiring the necessities of western hunting! Looks like the place to be for gaining that info. Thanks for the welcome.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Poor man's sheep is pretty dang high on my personal bucket list. Free range the country the live in can humble anyone pretty quick.. Impressive animals for sure. Can't wait to read your success thread. Hell I might even need to hit you up for some tips and lessons learned.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
C
Hey it's high on mine too, just that aoudad is probably not what jumps to mind when someone says "sheep hunt". I hope I have a success story to give you! I'm sure there will be several learning curves as I have only spotted these animals in the wild once. I don't know how they act, other than they are very wary critters and have awesome eyes. They're going to give me hell I know, but i'll come home with stories for sure. One years time will tell!