FNG from Ohio/Kentucky

ingramjri

FNG
Greetings all:

I primarily hunt whitetail in Ohio, Kentucky, and occasionally West Virginia. In Ohio, I hunt where I can, but in Kentucky I focus on backpack archery hunts in Daniel Boone National Forest, where it's plenty steep and plenty thick. I also try for quota rifle hunt tags at Land Between the Lakes and have been successful there. I enjoy hunting from a stand (especially in Ohio) but what I'm really attracted to is "western-style" adventure hunting, so I fill the majority of my hunting time trying to get as close to that experience as I can, backpacking in and packing meat out (on those rare occasions when I tag something other than a squirrel).

To that end I'm interested in some of the gear reviews and tactical forums and am looking forward to learning from you all and hopefully becoming a better hunter. The best case scenario would be to find someone local who is into the same kind of hunting and looking for a hunting buddy, but I know that may be a long shot.

Anyway, cheers and good luck this season!

Jonathan Ingram, Cincinnati

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
Welcome brother, lots of good information and great people here on this forum. I am not very far from you. I live in KY northeast of Louisville, about 70 miles from Cincy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome brother, lots of good information and great people here on this forum. I am not very far from you. I live in KY northeast of Louisville, about 70 miles from Cincy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see some fellow Roksliders in the area!! I'm in Louisville.

Jon- Welcome to the site! Might be interested in picking your brain on DBNF if you are up for it.

OP
I

ingramjri

FNG
Hi Jonathan, welcome to Rockslide.

Used to live in the Daniel Boone National Forest...Slade, KY. Now though Im out in CO.

Slade is pretty much my entry point...I hunt Red River Gorge and Clifty Wilderness. Tough hunting but incredibly fun. Colorado is pretty much where I want to be...but alas, my wife is from Cincy, which pretty much means I'm from Cincy.

OP
I

ingramjri

FNG
Glad to see some fellow Roksliders in the area!! I'm in Louisville.

Jon- Welcome to the site! Might be interested in picking your brain on DBNF if you are up for it.

Absolutely! I'll send an email with my cell number...feel free to give me a shout. Glad to run into some locals!

I searched DBNF to see if anyone here in central KY was doing the public land, backpack hunt thing in my neck of the woods and came across this post. If you happen to see this reply (I realize it's an old post, just came up because of the search) I'd be interested to get some advice from you. I'm looking to do something similar this fall.

Last edited: