Left Coast FNG

wtrfwlnut

FNG
Hey Rokslide! I've been enjoying Some Avery Adventures Podcasts and thought I'd sign up for Rokslide. I have been a relatively unsuccessful Deer/Elk hunter for quite a few years now. I have traveled to Colorado, Idaho, Utah and Wyoming in pursuit of big game and haven't had a ton of luck. The WY trips were fully guided wilderness trips up to the Gros Ventre wilderness up past slide lake back in the late 90's ('96 &'97 I think) targeting Elk. As luck would have it, the first year there were 7 hunters in camp and 5 tagged out...My brother and I were the two unlucky ones so the guides were gracious enough to have us back the next year at a discounted rate...Well, we ended up with the last week of the season that year and it turned out to be one of those El Nino years and we had rain at 7,000 ft elevation during the last week of Oct. Made for rough Elk hunting. Since then I hunted with friends in Colorado for a spike elk and a small buck in '98 I believe....Anyway, I've struggled a bit but I'm still trying. Admittedly, I haven't gone as extreme as a lot of guys are going these days. I wish I knew then what I know now. I would have hiked more and tried to get away from roads and people more for sure. Anyway, I'm learning to research more, scout more, hike more and get in a little better shape. Big game has gotten much more important to me in the past couple years for whatever reason. Not a die-hard Trophy hunter but I would like a decent Mule deer and bull to share pics of or possibly mount, so I plan to focus more in the coming years. Man, do I wish I had gotten in the preference point game way back then....Ugh.

So here's to long Intro's and better results from my efforts in big game hunting! I sure appreciate all the info from the forums, pod casts and books/articles that I've been reading! Cheers!

OP
W

wtrfwlnut

FNG
Glad to have ya on Rokslide nut. Keep at it you'll score someday and remember the hunt and adventure is the fun part.

Thanks for the words of encouragement pike, I completely agree. I got to see some amazing (completely overused word in my opinion but fitting here) country in WY. I saw a Griz, many Moose and Eagles and caught my first Cutthroat trout...Never forget those trips.....Oh, and driving by the Elk Refuge on the way out was just natures way of keeping me coming back. Incredible specimens there...