Intro from Southern CA

FNG from Southern CA (I don’t even know what FNG means…) who is super motivated to get out and put all my book “knowledge” to work. I have been freedive spearfishing and fishing in Southern CA (salt water) since I was a kid and have always been attracted to hunting big game and the outdoors. Have always camped and handled firearms but no one in my family hunts so this has been a solo interest. A couple buddies are established bow hunters… eventually some stars aligned… I started picking up gear… started researching. Behind in the game at 38 yrs old but better late than never.

Picked up a compound bow about 12 months ago and have been practicing a couple days a week since. Love it. Have been pouring money into all the gear & fancy accessories the podcasts and internet told me too (I’m a sucker for good marketing.). Podcasts, YouTube, forums, books, TV shows… I’m bursting at the seams here. Even have a goHunt membership… onXmaps... haven’t even looked at wild game through my binos yet! I think you get the picture.

Interested in getting away from the roads and into the backcountry. Need to put some miles & dirt on these shiny boots. Anyways, looking forward to getting out there to figure it all out and hopefully share some stories, get educated, and possibly link up with some like-minded hunters.

Also, if you need a guy to help pack out an animal in the LA & San Bernardino D zone areas... I'll lend a hand. Gotta put this pack to use one way or another.

Welcome to Rokslide FNG (****ing New Guy, by the way). Starting out with a bow is a tough proposition. But it can be done.

FreeRange

WKR
Welcome, I recognized your name from the spearing world, maybe your instagram? Stoked you're getting into bowhunting. If you're interested in hunting locally PM me, I hunt A31 and bow hunt the sierra every year as well. Not sure what's more addicting or expensive but it's pretty sweet having options close to home to hunt and spear most of the year.

Last edited:

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome - 39 yr old who lives in Huntington Beach, been hunting the western states for the last 15 years, but religiously the last 5 years. Will be hunting mule deer in southern Utah and Bull Elk in northern New Mexico this fall, both with a muzzleloader. I am slowly working my way from rifle, to ML, to bow here soon.

Also a huge big game fisherman - travel all over the world, and probably my #1 passion. Just love the ocean and outdoors in general.

OP
burritosavage
Welcome, I recognized your name from the spearing world, maybe your instagram? Stoked you're getting into bowhunting. If you're interested in hunting locally PM me, I hunt A31 and bow hunt the sierra every year as well. Not sure what's more addicting or expensive but it's pretty sweet having options close to home to hunt and spear most of the year.
Yeah, thats me. Jumping from spearfishing to bowhunting seems to translate well. I'll definitely hit you with a PM here soon. Thanks!