New from Michigan

My name is Adam, live in mid Michigan. Joined so I could start learning about western hunting. Kind of bored with sitting in trees. Started building points for Wyoming elk a few years ago. I plan to hunt there around 2020-2021. Until then, Im going to make the trek to other states to get my feet wet in spot and stalk and hike in hunting. Planning a trip to SD next fall for mule deer, may somewhere for OTC elk the year after. Ill be asking many dumb questions between now and then.

ST52v

WKR
You might want to hunt for cows in the unit you want to hunt in Wyoming. We did that for two years and learned a lot. We will not burn our points in that unit for a bull hunt.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
A
You might want to hunt for cows in the unit you want to hunt in Wyoming. We did that for two years and learned a lot. We will not burn our points in that unit for a bull hunt.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That would definitely be a consideration so we can get some exposure to what we'd need for when we go after bulls. Thanks for the tip!

Welcome from SE MI, do my MI Deer hunting up there in Mid-Mich, southern half of the lower peninsula is some of the hardest hunted area in the US.
Tons of great info on this site, learning a lot myself.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

This is awesome advice. It will help you tune in your gear and technique. Even a scouting trip during the season you will be hunting without a tag in your hand. I have 19 elk points in Utah and took a trip a couple years ago to my unit the last week of September. I have a much better idea what to do and where to go when I finally draw a tag.

Be careful, once I started hunting out west, it gets extremely difficult to get excited about hunting in Michigan...