checkin' in from CO

Aculous

FNG
Moved out here to CO last year, worked for the federal government as a contractor for the last 12 years and realized I just wasn't cut out for adult daycare even if the money was good.

Decided to start my own business, still in the infancy of that but decided that come hell or high water I was going to go on an elk hunt. So I am going to hunters safety on wednesday and I have a bunch of gmus picked out that still have OTC tags.

I was looking for supplies and advice and Rok kept coming up. So here I am.

Always looking for people to hunt with or grab a beer. I'm in Johnstown/Greeley area.

Edit: I'm a rifle hunter at the moment but I just bought my first bow this year and am learning to shoot, once I am proficient thats where I want to be.

Last edited:
OP
A

Aculous

FNG
well originally I found a tag for 18/181 but that sold out, I may pick up the 2nd/3rd rifle tag for that though, it will be tough to get to in november but theres still some tags. I was looking at GMU 4/441 and a couple in and around Rout but I just noticed they updated the leftover list and those are private property only, when I looked at it the other night they were listed as public so thats not going to work. I'll probably ask for some suggestions since I am new to the area and running out of options.

I'd pick a close OTC unit to where you live and be there as much as possible during hunting season and the summer. Go on camping trips there and have them double as scouting trips. Learn all the roads, trails, access points, and elk patterns. The CPW Hunting Atlas is a good tool along with Google Earth. Nothing will compare to boots on the ground though.

OP
A

Aculous

FNG
Yea I have been looking at the hunting atlas a lot and looking at a bunch of more detailed GIS maps. I scouted/camped three different GMUs down by glenwood springs and up north and around trappers peak. I wish I was more on top of it during the draw because I am up poudre canyon almost every weekend. I want to hunt Roosevelt if I can next season.

OP
A

Aculous

FNG
either, I think I am going to look at cow tags, I wasn't at first but the only thing I really care about is the meat. I used to be a cook back in the day and that hasn't really left me. I had elk for the first time last year and I was hooked.

OP
A

Aculous

FNG
so...did not realize just how many people I was going to run into during first and second rifle....

First rifle I was on the west side of Colorado...I ran into exactly 3 birds the entire time...thats 7 days folks...before and after the season. It was extreme camping. 2 other hunters I saw that week mentioned the heat...ended up running around a lot since I had a multi unit tag which was stupid. But I thought going up in altitude would be a good idea. Also I hate myself so I was backpack hunting.

Second rifle I had a cow tag...went to two spots up north, was NOT ready for 50 mph winds and biting cold. Had to leave early since the spot I was in had basically nothing but widow makers screeching all night and my car...(working on that) was not going to make it out if we had any precip.

All in all I had a good time and met a couple good people, everyone was cool except one ****y outfitter who had issues reading a map. But was really happy, it was great to clear out my head before the crushing defeat of trying to start my own business when I got back. I really want to get out with my bow next year though. Also see a elk...as in 1...would be good. If I hear a bugle I would probably pass out. Whatever one day at a time I suppose.