Howdy From Texas

El Rojo

FNG
Hi folks! Glad to have been directed to this site from a friend. I’m about as new as it gets. I haven’t even been able to figure out how to update my profile information so bare with me until I’ve had a chance to do so. I’m 33 and from East Texas. When folks from out of state hear Texas they often vision flat short brush country filled with mesquite, cactus, giant deer, and cows... That’s not where I’m from. It’s huge tall pine trees, various oaks, creek bottoms, pine ridges, and briar thickets where a red bird can live his entire life cycle without ever having to learn to fly. The deer hunting in my area of the state is EXTREMELY high pressured with bucks older than 3 years old being as much of a myth as they are fact. It’s very challenging hunting but an incredible award when you close the book on one.

I’ve worked all over the US and other parts of the world but always return home. I love deer hunting with a bow/ rifle/ muzzleloader/ ninjy stars/ machete.... whatever is in season and legal, but if I had to pick one it would be my Hoyt. When it isn’t deer season you’ll likely be able to find me on Sam Rayburn or Toledo Bend trying to figure out how to catch 5 bass big enough to cash a check on Saturday. I fish several of the local tournament trails and some of the FLW events when they collide with my days off.

In my professional life I’m a Directional Driller for Phoenix Technology Services drilling horizontal oil wells currently in West Texas near the New Mexico boarder.

I have a beautiful wife Stephanie that somehow puts up with me working a 28/14 schedule and spending my 14 days off in pursuit of a deer or a green fish somewhere. I have a 3.5 year old daughter Adalee and a son Raylen that will be 2 in a couple of weeks. Adalee made me promise her when I left to come back to work that I would “buy me a little bow so I can catch a little deer with daddy.” Raylen just wants to “drive Daddy’s big white truck with black wheels.” As much as I love the outdoors, I’d give it all away for 1 extra day with my family. God has certainly blessed me with them.

I look forward to sharing information with y’all and talking critters.

Stid2677

WKR
Welcome Red,, spent some time chasing Bass in some of those places myself.

gpena1911

FNG
Welcome rojo!! I am new as well. Directed to this site by the same brother that sent you over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
E

El Rojo

FNG
Welcome rojo!! I am new as well. Directed to this site by the same brother that sent you over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Que pasa primo! Glad to see a brother of another color from another mother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bounds

WKR
Bienvenidos! I'm just down the road from you. That's the Texas I grew up with too.

We're starting to get a decent SE Texas clan going on here. We may have to all meet up sometime.

Ugh...another Texan :)

Just kidding with you...I married one(she's an Aggie) and lived there for a few years myself. I mostly love Texas and spend a bit of time there every year(friends in the Metro-plex, family in Pipe Creek and down in Corpus). I'm actually headed back to Llano to do some grocery shopping with my rifle in a few weeks, and maybe back again at Thanksgiving to try to kill an free-range Axis at my in-laws place. My FIL was an oil man too. He worked for Conoco Phillips for a long time(just retired). Welcome!

gelton

WKR
Welcome. Born in Port Arthur myself. Spent a ton of time on Rayburn and Toledo as well. Have family that have lake houses on both Toledo and Rayburn. Lived in Austin for 12 years and just bought a small farm south of Dallas. Lake Whitney is less than 3 miles away.

OP
E

El Rojo

FNG
Bienvenidos! I'm just down the road from you. That's the Texas I grew up with too.

We're starting to get a decent SE Texas clan going on here. We may have to all meet up sometime.

Cleveland isn't far at all. A real good hunting and fishing buddy of mine is from Tarkington. I'm always down to smoke some meat, pour a cool pop down my neck, and meet new buddies!

Ugh...another Texan :)

Just kidding with you...I married one(she's an Aggie) and lived there for a few years myself. I mostly love Texas and spend a bit of time there every year(friends in the Metro-plex, family in Pipe Creek and down in Corpus). I'm actually headed back to Llano to do some grocery shopping with my rifle in a few weeks, and maybe back again at Thanksgiving to try to kill an free-range Axis at my in-laws place. My FIL was an oil man too. He worked for Conoco Phillips for a long time(just retired). Welcome!

If you married an Aggie you married up lol. Llano is one of my favorite places on Earth. Cooper's BBQ and Blue Duck's were my 2 favorite hang outs when I was guiding out that we. Some guys I played baseball with and myself used to make an annual voyage to Lone Grove (10min down the road) to an ultra cheap day lease. I think we payed a princely sum of like $65 a day in about 2003-2007. It has some great deer and a huntable population of hogs on it. Some of the best times I have ever had were on that ranch.

Welcome. Born in Port Arthur myself. Spent a ton of time on Rayburn and Toledo as well. Have family that have lake houses on both Toledo and Rayburn. Lived in Austin for 12 years and just bought a small farm south of Dallas. Lake Whitney is less than 3 miles away.

I've spent some time in PA myself. We won that baseball tournament in HS 3 years in a row there. PA Jefferson was always a handful of competition. I did a pile driving job over in Sabine Pass. We built that Sea Rim park over there in about 2002 but I heard one of the hurricanes got it.

gelton

WKR
Yep, Port Neches Groves is where I went to High School, we have 2 state champion football trophies and won the 5A state championship in baseball last year. Lost a state championship in football about 12 years ago. Doesnt say much because we sucked when I was playing. Sea Rim and McFaddin refuges are my waterfowl stomping grounds. Can get you from Sabine Pass through the marsh to Houston and/or the short rigs in the Gulf at 4am with a North Wind in a 14ft flat bottom boat...LOL.

OP
E

El Rojo

FNG
Yep, Port Neches Groves is where I went to High School, we have 2 state champion football trophies and won the 5A state championship in baseball last year. Lost a state championship in football about 12 years ago. Doesnt say much because we sucked when I was playing. Sea Rim and McFaddin refuges are my waterfowl stomping grounds. Can get you from Sabine Pass through the marsh to Houston and/or the short rigs in the Gulf at 4am with a North Wind in a 14ft flat bottom boat...LOL.

I’ve got a pretty epic story about how a black drum almost beat me to death with a piece of #4 rebar down at Sea Rim. I guess that’s a good enough story for my first general forum post lol. Stand by for when I catch a break at work and be watching. It’s absolutely worth the read.