FNG from California

Haretakis

FNG
Hello everyone!

Complete FNG here. Extra emphasis on the first two letters! Seriously though, I am almost completely new to any sort of hunting, fishing and camping. I've been truck camping a few times, and I know how to shoot rabbits with a pellet gun and skin them. That's the extent of my Bushcraft!

I'm kind of stuck at the starting block. I can't seem to figure out the first step I ought to be taking. Any resources to help give me the kickstart I need? Books? Anything?!

Is a guided hunt a good first step? I've got the stubborn idea in my head that I want to figure all this out on my own, but it seems like an insurmountable peak at times.

Now that I've puked all that up onto the thread...I'm glad to be here and ready to learn!

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
I'd start with a guided pig hunt in Central California........the principals used on that type of hunt is a good entry into bigger game species like Deer and Elk. Cost is very reasonable, usually in the $600 - $750 range (for 3 day guided hunt). Spending time out in the country and just observing your surroundings (both sight and listening) will also help bring you up to speed......pay special attention to wind direction, because most animals will bust you with their noses, rather than their site. But again, you just have to get out there and do it!

Rinella’s Complete Guide to Hunting and Butchering Wild Game (both volumes) is a good resource. Also, just get out and wander public lands. You can learn a lot just spending time out in the woods. Start with a one night backpacking trip and go from there. Lots of land to explore here in California. Hunting is not easy here, but I find it rewarding even when I don’t get into my intended quarry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Haretakis

FNG
You guys are awesome! I truly appreciate the warm welcome and advice.

I've already begun to read Rinella's guides. Sounds like a good next move is the boar hunt!

For those asking, I live in Orange County. Tustin, to be precise.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
BTW, I live in Huntington Beach and my brother lives in a Tustin Hills. Good to meet another local forum member.

OP
H

Haretakis

FNG
Rinella’s Complete Guide to Hunting and Butchering Wild Game (both volumes) is a good resource. Also, just get out and wander public lands. You can learn a lot just spending time out in the woods. Start with a one night backpacking trip and go from there. Lots of land to explore here in California. Hunting is not easy here, but I find it rewarding even when I don’t get into my intended quarry.

Anywhere in socal you can recommend for an overnighter?

I don’t know Southern California that well, but I’ve spent time in Los Padres NF, which covers a huge area. Lots of wilderness areas in there.

OP
H

Haretakis

FNG
I don’t know Southern California that well, but I’ve spent time in Los Padres NF, which covers a huge area. Lots of wilderness areas in there.

Awesome! I'm willing to drive. Any where in particular at Los Padres I should check out?

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
If your willing to drive I️ would recommend up out of mammoth for hiking. Lots of loops you can go overnight on.