FNG in the middle of the country Missouri

Hey all, 33YO greenhorn from the burbs of Kansas City Mo. Born in raised right in the armpit of America. I wasn’t raised hunting but certainly enjoyed the outdoors growing up. Married into a traditional Midwest whitetail hunting family 10 years ago. Always curious and fascinated with procuring my own meat, I convinced my father inlaw (didn’t take much) to take me under his wing so to speak. Today marks about 5years of tree stand whitetail and blind hunting turkey (gun and bow). I absolutely love it. In the last year or so I’ve found myself with a deep desire to hit the backcountry. I’ve lived vicariously through stories from folks like Steven Rinella, Ben O’Brien, Remi Warren, etc. The few people I hunt with look at my like I have a dick growing out of my ear when I express my interest in this endeavor. So, I have a 3-5 year plan to get my ass in the real woods for a 3 day elk hunt, likely in CO due to proximity. Hopefully sometime this year I will be able to purchase a quality pack, maybe a pair of boots, then start hiking in my area. I figure the sooner the better to get in “mountain shape”. Within 2 years I’d really like to try some weekend primitive camping/hiking in my native MO to get familiar with the idea. If any of you folks have light to shed on my particular situation, I’m all ears. I look forward to getting to know you guys/gals.

Daubsnu1

FNG
Welcome to the forum! I grew up just up the road in Omaha...but spent 15+ years in Missouri (Kirksville, St. Louis, and Maryville).

This is a great forum with lots of good peeps.

Take care, Doug