New Mexico/Western Colorado here

Hi all. I'm from Grand Junction, Colorado, and I think of the Western Slope as home, but I'm currently in the Albuquerque area for work. Hopefully it will be a quick detour, but for the next several months at least I'm living the New Mexico life and dreaming about getting home to places like the Grand Mesa and West Elk Mountains.

I've always wanted to hunt elk. I've been hunting one season with some more experienced friends without success. My hunting experience is very limited, but I've been backpacking since I was in boy scouts. I'm a forester. I've been a teacher and a wildland firefighter. Hopefully I have some skills and insight that will be useful and will let me start contributing soon, but as far as finding, tracking, killing, and packing out animals goes, I will be that guy asking a bunch of questions that have been asked too many times already.

Looking forward to learning a lot here.

Felix40

WKR
I am originally from Junction as well. Im currently in Farmington for some job training. There are some awesome opportunities here in NM that you dont have anywhere else in the US. Are you wanting to rifle or bow hunt?

OP
W
Right now I'm hoping to start rifle hunting. I already own a Weatherby Vanguard .270 (which I'm worried is too heavy now that I've spent a lot of time on this site), and I was familiar with firearms before I got interested in hunting. Archery is completely foreign to me, but it looks really interesting. Maybe once I've had a successful rifle hunt I'll be able to convince my wife that I need a bow.