FNG upstate NY

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Hi there. My wife and I and 3 year old son live in rural western New York. We own a house with 112 acres where I obsess over habitat management for whitetails. I've hunted and fished my whole life. The last few years I've gotten in on a lease in Illinois for archery whitetails with a few friends. I've been totally consumed the last few months about going out west for a DIY public land elk hunt. I'm in information overload mode right now. I'm finding it maddening to work out logistics. I'm loving the threads of encouragement that say "just go". I've been pouring over forums, maps, books, podcasts, etc and am gaining some useful information. This forum is the best platform I've found. Thanks to everyone for the useful information.

cg2737

WKR
Welcome aboard. I am also an upstate NY guy. Thanks to the help from members and information on the site I did my 1st OTC CO hunt last year. Just Go is the right advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSKIER

WKR
Fellow new yorker but from down state I agree with everyone just go. Did my first western hunt two years ago and fell in love it! Even if you aren't successful you won't regret it!

elkguide

WKR
Glad that you've joined us. Lots of great info here.
Just go is correct BUT if you go once................ it once be the last!!!!!!
Very addicting!!!!!
Nothing like the sound of an elk bugle.

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm planning Colorado too...2019. Thinking early archery but not ruling out 2nd or 3rd season rifle. I'd be ecstatic to harvest any elk, cow included. And from my understanding non resident OTC cow (either sex...) tags are only applicable for archery. First trip I expect nothing more than an incredible experience and a learning curve for future trips. I'll probably truck camp and hike a few miles from camp in a loop and see what happens.

cg2737

WKR
I went for the first two weeks of archery. I saw 6 cows and two bulls. I had an incredible time. I met some great people and saw the most amazing country I had ever seen. I am definitely going back this year. I would consider my hunt an absolute success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk