New Guy Moving to NW Montana

bobr1

WKR
Hey guys,

Been reading the forums and using the website for quite a while but finally posting now. I am separating from the service and will be moving to Kalispell area in Montana this summer. I am hoping to get back into hunting and fishing when I get there. I know I probably will not be able to get a tag this year for there but I will probably try to get an OTC elk tag in Colorado or Idaho. Also, hoping to meet some new hunting partners and learn as much as I can when I move there.

Thanks,

Bob

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Bob. Hope you have some luck finding some like minded guys in your new area

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
Hey guys,

Been reading the forums and using the website for quite a while but finally posting now. I am separating from the service and will be moving to Kalispell area in Montana this summer. I am hoping to get back into hunting and fishing when I get there. I know I probably will not be able to get a tag this year for there but I will probably try to get an OTC elk tag in Colorado or Idaho. Also, hoping to meet some new hunting partners and learn as much as I can when I move there.

Thanks,

Bob

When I got out of the Marine Corps I moved to Bozeman to go to Montana State University and get my degree in Fish and Wildlife Management. I will be graduating in 3 weeks and it has been the best decision I have made. I recommend you buy an OTC bear tag and hunt for them hard this fall. Tag is only $350, it's OTC and it will get you out there and in the woods which will be huge advantage next year when you're hunting deer and elk as a resident. Also, as soon as you get to Montana do not wait to get you're drivers license. In fact, you have to make an appointment with the DMV to get your license and they can be booked months out, at least that's how it is down here in Bozeman. I would call and set the appointment up ahead of time and get in there as soon as you arrive. You need to hold a resident drivers license for 6 months to be considered a resident. There's other ways too but this is the simplest and most straight forward. Hope this makes sense, welcome to Montana (and Rokslide) and congratulations on finishing your military contract. It's a very exciting time for you.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
When I got out of the Marine Corps I moved to Bozeman to go to Montana State University and get my degree in Fish and Wildlife Management. I will be graduating in 3 weeks and it has been the best decision I have made. I recommend you buy an OTC bear tag and hunt for them hard this fall. Tag is only $350, it's OTC and it will get you out there and in the woods which will be huge advantage next year when you're hunting deer and elk as a resident. Also, as soon as you get to Montana do not wait to get you're drivers license. In fact, you have to make an appointment with the DMV to get your license and they can be booked months out, at least that's how it is down here in Bozeman. I would call and set the appointment up ahead of time and get in there as soon as you arrive. You need to hold a resident drivers license for 6 months to be considered a resident. There's other ways too but this is the simplest and most straight forward. Hope this makes sense, welcome to Montana (and Rokslide) and congratulations on finishing your military contract. It's a very exciting time for you.

That's great, I'm actually thinking about doing Fish and Wildlife, I already have my B.S. in biochemistry but was looking at getting my Masters in F&W as I'd rather spend my time in the field than in a lab (prior to military). But right now school options are limited in our area so it might have to be something online. That sounds like a good/fun idea with the bear tag, even though I've never hunted bear, the elk tag looks like its $885 for nonresident and I missed the draw deadline anyway so that will give me something to do the first year. Thanks for the heads up on the drivers license, that's good to know, I'm in a complex situation since my license is going to expire at my home of record and they won't let me renew online so might have to get a California license until I can get to Montana.

Thanks for the advice,

Bob

bhylton

WKR
it would would be expensive, but MT may not sell out of deer/elk combos this year. worth a look. stop in at the FWP office in Kalispell. welome and thank your for your service!

Congrats on finishing up your service contract and thank you! Kalispell is an awesome place, color me jealous!