Another FNG transplant. Fl 2 WA

SFDave

FNG
Just moved from Tampa FL to Marysville WA last month. Been unpacking and settling in, but counting down to opening day. Plan to hunt elk and deer, and willing to travel. Retired from the Army a while back, so packing in and out is not a big issue. Still trying to digest the hunting rules here in WA, some of the strangest I have ever seen. I've hunted all 3 weapon classes in the past, but I need to pick one now. People I have spoke to here in the western side of the state all hunt the eastern side. Looking forward to reading the forum to see what everyone else has to say. Dave

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to rokslide! And yes the Washington hunting laws are not the easiest to digest. You're too late to put in for a multi season liscense, so you'll have to pick your weapon and for elk, which side of the state as well(split on the pct).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
S

SFDave

FNG
Thank you Jskaanland. Is there a website that you can go to that gives you a list of which GMUs are OTC and which ones are draw?

Welcome Dave. Im pretty new to this site myself but your name caught my eye. Where are you coming from in the Army? I left 7th Group 2 years ago and was guessing you were a fellow Green hat. Those regs looks nuts but at least you have Elk. Im still in the Eglin area and our deer look like great danes.

Welcome and a sincere thank you for your service.

Wdfw.wa.gov is the fish and game departments website. The state caters to rifle over any other weapon use. Washington has the shortest archery seasons in the west. The hunting in WA is so bad that GoHunt came out with California instead of WA.

But that said most of the hunting is in the cascades or eastern half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ5K

FNG
Hey SFDave! Im a good 3 or 4 hundred miles from you over in Spokane! Welcome to Rockslide. Hope you enjoy washington. I lived down in jacksonville for a year so i know you're coming from a pretty different place

OP
S

SFDave

FNG
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. For those that it applies, I hope everyone had a great Father's Day.

Yes Running Predator, I am a fellow green hatter. Retire from 3rd Group back in 2006. Your deer up there are the size of Great Danes? In the Tampa area, they look more like Chihuahuas having chicken fights.

My wife just got promoted to Managing Director of FedEx for the Pacific North West, so here I am. I'm getting my first trip to Alaska next month. My wife is taking me salmon fishing for my birthday.

Also started looking at areas to hunt both Elk and Deer. Downloaded onxmaps and looking at some areas out east and south part of the state. Now for my question. On onxmaps, if it is not boxed in red, covered in green dots and not an Elk or Deer area, then it is over the counter tag hunting?

Thanks for any advice or help in advance