NG from Virginia

Hammer08

FNG
Hello folks, I've been reading here for quite a while. This is my first post but I've read/learned a bunch and gained a lot of motivation from this forum and the people on it.

I'm a lifelong hunter in my mid 20's who's itching to get out west this fall. I've been hunting since I was 6 with my grandfather, father, and brother. Mostly eastern game (whitetail,turkey,black bear,squirrel). I have been lucky enough to hunt New Mexico rifle elk with my father before he passed. We had a couple amazing trips where we were successful. I spend most of my season hunting public land in my home state. The George Washington/Jefferson National Forest is relatively(for the east lol) large and i'm no stranger to going deep carrying heavy loads in and out. It's been a while since I've been on a western hunt but i'm finally established enough to make the trip out there again. Over the past year and a half a group of 3 friends and myself have planned an OTC archery elk hunt for this Sept. Thanks to a lot of what I've read here I'm feeling fairly(ish) well prepared with my gear, fitness, calling, strategy/gameplans. It likely won't go as planned but it will be a great time and a learning experience.

We've got 12 weeks until it's go time. We plan on setting up a base camp from the truck at a National Forest campground. From there we'll drive to a few spots we've picked out and make loops looking for sign, glassing, and calling. We'll be able to spike out if necessary but we plan on covering a lot of ground per day. We've spent countless hours looking at google maps and on x picking out locations. We've got more possible locations planned than we'll have time to try in the 17 days we'll be there. This is honestly more of an exploratory trip trying to figure out the area that we've picked. We've got long term plans with realistic expectations. Until then I'm going to put a few hundred miles running/hiking with pack behind me and focus on my calling. I've got my gear list sorted out. Got some pretty quality stuff that should last for years. There is some room for upgrading a couple things in the future but I'm extremely happy with what I've got and plan on putting it to use on one or more trips yearly.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you all for the wealth of knowledge to be had here. Looking forward to this year's hunt and the many hunts in the years to come. Good luck to you all this fall!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Hammer. Sounds like you guys have a great plan and allowed yourself plenty of time to be successful

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Hey fellow Virginian, welcome to the forum

From the sounds of your post you may live close to me or hunt near me....I am located in Highland County, how about you?

OP
H

Hammer08

FNG
Hey fellow Virginian, welcome to the forum

From the sounds of your post you may live close to me or hunt near me....I am located in Highland County, how about you?

I'm a little north of you in Warren County. Highland County is beautiful country, never hunted there though.

Jauwater

WKR
Welcome to the Forum. Just got off the AT in Virginia, Grayson Highlands. Beautiful country there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hammer08

FNG
Welcome to the Forum. Just got off the AT in Virginia, Grayson Highlands. Beautiful country there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!

The Grayson Highlands/Mt. Rogers area is a beautiful part of the state. One of my favorite for summer camping/backpacking because of the cool temps at night (I hate sleeping hot). Plus, my name is Grayson so I always thought that was a pretty cool connection.

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome fellow Virginian. Glad to see you on here. I am from Grayson Co. Originally in the Whitetop area just a few miles south and west of Mt. Rogers and Grayson Highlands. That area is the Homeland and will always be dear to my heart. That is where I get my online name. Give me a shout some time if you wanna talk about the area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk