Live Hunt - Bighorn Sheep Oregon

WRO

WKR
T minus 5 days until we leave for sheep hunting.

This all started in 6/19..

I checked my draws first... Nothing

Called all of my friends, a couple drew nothing.. Then I get a text from my best friend, he drew Walla Walla rifle big bull randomly. (9 points, takes 15 to guarantee) The excitement was building for his hunt.

Then I went home and decided to check the wife's draw applications..

I looked at them, and my breath got shallow and then I stood on the chair and started yelling HOLY ####.

10398044_10203740423849236_9043123906719719530_n.jpg

My wife hearing the commotion, immediately yelled at me whats going on. (my 4 year old was repeating my loud exclamations in the living room)

I told her the news, and she said oh..

Now the major factor in that is that she had morning sickness as we found out that number three was on the way between application submission and results.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep that night, and we went up and bought her tag the next day. (yes I have looked at it in the safe about 10 times since just to make sure it didn't disappear).

The planning immediately commenced, and we started scouting the next weekend. This unit I know pretty well, I have antelope hunted it twice, and helped on 4 other hunts down there. Plus I kill dogs and birds down there every winter. The access isn't bad and you can get to the sheep from both the top and the bottom, so probably the best sheep hunt for a pregnant woman.

I have done a ton on recon on this hunt. When I found out she drew the tag, I called the FNAWS president and he sent me the number for the tag holders the last 4 years. I have spoken to all of them and made some other great contacts out of that. Taylor, who is a member on this site had the tag in 2010 and he graciously offered to help, a gentleman named Greg who works for Oregon Department of Forestry and has been a part of killing 11 rams in the unit has helped, the local bio Craig "foz" Foster has helped. Then all of the crew, who will be showing up next week out of the goodness of their hearts to pack and spot are awesome. We have made so many new friends through this experience.

Anyways I drug the misses down 2 weeks ago and kicked her butt on a scouting trip. Made her hike 1500 vertical feet in 90 degree heat, had her up at 4:30, to bed at 10:00 every night and she loved it.

Here are some pictures.

1902789_10204023167077640_5511598300473236731_n.jpg

10419560_10204027355502348_6542333139487105458_n.jpg

10509556_4405030380331_5859412415721371792_n.jpg

We struggled with smoke and very high temperatures didn't relocate a 165" ram I found the trip before. On top of that my truck took a dump on me and tapped my resources for the next trip. (its a 1000 mile driving weekend for each trip)

So that gets the back story taken care of. Starting next tuesday 8/19 I am heading down, meeting up with taylor, and getting camp set up, and getting a ram pinned down for the 8/23 opener.

Our goal on this hunt is to kill a 170" ram, it will be a tall order as there hasn't been one killed that big in a couple of years. Although the first 165" ram that's in a good spot will take a bullet. (she shoots better than I do)

Last edited:

Hardstalk

WKR
Be careful! I bucked my wife around the mountains for a couple days when she had a deer tag. She was 3 or 4 months pregnant at the time. She said she felt fine. But ended up pinching a ciatic nerve and lost her legs for a day! Couldn't feel anything from the waist down. She came around fine. Just something to consider with the misses. Find the easy path for her. She may agree with things her body doesn't. Good luck!

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
The goal is to only hike her up the mountain once but we'll see.

With several spotters/packers it should be easy. Oregon sheep is a cool deal, because its once in a lifetime and it gets in your blood and everyone elses. Big crowds aren't my usual MO and I've told more people no than yes. At then end of the day the opportunity to share this experience with a bunch of guys who will most likely never draw a tag is too good to pass up.

I'm already looking forward to helping somebody else with the tag next year.

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
Getting the final packing done tonight, on the road tomorrow. The season opens Saturday, I will be posting updates daily starting tomorrow.

CaseyU

WKR
Subscribed. Good luck to you and the mrs. Can't wait to see the bruiser in the glory shots !!

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
ynu8unah.jpg

ygy5ajub.jpg

6y9a6aqe.jpg

And so the search begins. .

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
Saw a ewe this morning not much else. Went into an area looking for a unicorn (big old lone ram) got back to the spot I wanted to be overlooking a guzzler abd some genius decided to camp on it. Very bad for the local wildlife during a drought. Hit a couple other long shot spots and called it after 7 miles on foot and another 40 on the bike. . (Roads suck here so it's the best option)

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
4 little rams in that group, Found a unicorn earlier in no man's land. No pics of that one until he's taking dirt nap.

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
Found another giant california tonight, 170+... pictures tomorrow.