Live Trap/Hunt

Mtnboy

WKR
Thanks for sharing!

Keep it up, you're bound to make it happen eventually, especially if you are seeing sign in the area of your traps.

I know of a couple people who are just an hour or 2 north of you that have already trapped 5 each, it can be done!

Also, thanks for your effort, it's super important that we do our part to keep the wolves at a reasonable number and trapping is the most effective way to do that, thank you.

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Traps

Well I had a nice adventure this weekend. Thankfully I had a friend that generously made me use his snowmobile. I never realized how much work those things are to ride? Anyway, I decided to pull the traps for relocation since I don't own a snowmobile to access them. Snow where they were located was up to my waist and animal sign, other than a moose has moved much lower in elevation.
So the snowmobile only has so much room to carry stuff unless you have a sled, so I decided not to take the snow shoes or the chainsaw. Since there had been several snowmobiles that had been in that area and I had cut a few trees earlier last week, I didn't think I would need it.
So after getting in and pulling the traps, a tree had fallen across the path. It was really steep on each side so there was no going around it and it was too tall to get over it, even after several attempts and having to pick up and move the sled a few times. The tree had slit longways and thankfully I had a hatchet in the box. So I spent the next hour or so cutting thru just over half of the tree to the split. I then used that piece and some branches to make a ramp up one side. I could still only the front end over and had to lift the rear and push it over.
Sure sounds easier than it was, but I did not want to stay the night out there.

If anyone has any intel on some recent wolf activities in a zone that allows trapping, and that is within 2-3 hour drive of Moscow, I would greatly appreciate it!!

The Tree:

IMG_2250.jpg

The Hatchet Cut:

IMG_2254.jpg

Successful Extraction:

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Good news! Got some of the intel that I was hoping for! I am going to head back out this weekend to scout it out and set the traps again. I am really excited! I just know this is going to come together. The spot is about 85 miles from the house each way, which is about 20 miles farther than the last spot, but lower elevation and more accessible travel for winter. I know that is quite a trek, but I know it is worth it.
I have room in the truck if anyone wants to tag along?

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Well the trapping train leaves in the morning at 5:30. I am heading to scout and set the new location that I got the intel on. I am so excited! I hope I can get a decent night sleep. Not that I ever really do anymore as it is.
Anyway I will take some pictures so I can post them for everyone to see.
Keep watching.

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Well I scouted and did not set traps. Waiting to hear back from a friend about possible access to a big piece of private property where the owner saw a wolf from his house on Thursday. I will keep everyone posted. I have a few pictures I will upload tomorrow..

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear I still have people watching this extremely slow live trap. I wish I was out in the woods, but I have a final exam for one of my MBA classes.
I got the info from my friend about the landowner down there. He said that the State trapper setup just off of his property for the wolves he was seeing. Sounds like they may be worried about those wolves going after his livestock? Anyway, he discussed the area I was scouting and provided some more info on it. He indicated it was a really good area with wolf activity and talked about the amount of game there. I agree with him on the game, I don't think I have ever laid eyes on so many deer tracks in all my life. I don't think I went 50 yards without seeing deer sign.

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

A few pictures of the area. I know some people will have an idea of where I am planning on setting.

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

Of course another of this old man??

IMG_2280.jpg

Mtnboy

WKR
I'd say that neck of the woods has to be a pretty good place to start!

Keep it up!

Randle

WKR
This has been interesting to watch for sure, Every time I open this thread I hope to see success, It will come .

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Alright folks time for an update. I set some traps near Dent bridge, but no luck. Lots of deer and elk in the area, but no wolves. Took a long hike out Charlie Creek area near Emida, ID. Again a lot of deer and elk sign, but no wolves. Took a break and did some fishing and other things. I got some info that wolves had been seen around the power lines south of Clarkia. I got in the area and cut one track so I put some trap sets there for a while, but no luck. A friend invited me to run some gas through his snowmobiles with him so we went to the hills. Got into an area of unit 8A that borders unit 6 and got into some big wolf tracks following a moose at around 4300ft in elevation. Studying the maps, you could come in from Clarkia if the roads where open like I thought they may be since I saw log trucks coming out of that area when I setup near the power lines. Well the area of the tracks was farther back than I could get close to with the snow being deep still and I actually ended up getting my truck stuck. So I decided to take another break since the weather was starting to warm up and some snow melt would occur.

So I went back out this week and got another ½ mile or so with the truck. This is all I needed to feel I could effectively hike the rest of the way every 72 hours to check traps. So I loaded the sled with the trapping gear, grabbed my pack with enough gear for a couple days if I get into any issues, slung the rifle, strapped on the snowshoes and went for it. Hiked just under two miles and 750 ft in elevation and then cut a fresh set of tracks! Needless to say I was excited!! I followed the fresh tracks for a ¼ mile or so before they went back into thick timber. So I made a set where they went into the woods, another where one had stopped to pee/mark, and one just along the path they traveled. Unfortunately no pictures since my phone was dead.

I went back today for the first check of this promising area. On the way in I came across tracks in the mud about a ½ mile from where I park the truck. (See Picture).
As I hiked in I got excited about half way in as wolf tracks followed mine from a few days earlier for a about a ¼ mile. Turning into the woods toward the area of the traps. As I got to within a ¼ mile of the traps I cut fresh tracks again. I also came across a tracked four wheeler tracks that I later met the rider who was there with his parents trying to fill a wolf tag.
So nothing in the traps yet, but I am really on fresh sign and I know it will happen before the 31st.

Pictures, Just for reference my hand is right around 8" long.

Print.jpg

Print 2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Going back for a check this evening. I will try to get a few pictures. It snowed up there again yesterday so I will get to see if there is still fresh sign in the area.

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Well the last check was another fun adventure. I was able to leave work an hour early thinking it would give me enough time to get out to the traps before dark. For those that don't live in this type of country, you always have to go prepared with something. On the way in I ended up having to cut two trees out of the road, man I love my chainsaw. Anyway cutting and moving trees is a good workout for those who have never done it. This of course put me behind on getting to the spot I park to start the hike in. I started the snowshoe in just before 7, and I was humping it to try and get to the traps before it got completely dark. I did not make it. It was overcast so it got dark earlier, although the light reflection off the snow helped a little, once you are in the thicker trees it doesn't do much good. I did have a flashlight so it wasn't an issue, but there was not enough light for pictures if there had been Wolves in the traps.
Unfortunately nothing again.
The hike out in the dark is always unnerving considering the wolves you know are in the area and number of mountain lions you don't.I guess that is what puts hair on your chest. Although I am not sure I need anymore.

Few pictures.
Snowshoe 1.jpg

Snowshoe 2.jpg

Shrek

WKR
Darn it ! I can't wait for you to break through and get a wolf ! I'm sure it's like most hunting in that once you put all together the first time it starts to get easier.

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for not wrapping up the end of the season.
Unfortunately, no wolves in the traps. They got close to them, lees than 200 yards. Had more snow mobile tracks, so I think they had gotten pushed out. This will be the the season as I am going to put out more traps and was able to get some toys to access areas easier.
Since the wife and I decided not to build a house this year, I got to buy a quad. I my search I found an 08 Arctic Cat 100 with tracks. I am so excited to start this trapping season. It is not until Nov. 15, so in the mean time I am going to do a live hunt for archery elk, and try to get a nice whitetail and a mountain lion. I know lofty goals for couple of months.
Here is the new toy.
I also got a companion for checking the trap line.

View attachment 38988

View attachment 38989

View attachment 38990

Shrek

WKR
I'm Looking forward to this season. You put a lot of time and effort in this past winter and I'm sure it will pay off this winter.