Live Trap/Hunt

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I would try a different live hunt for everyone??

A little about me:
My name is Micah and many of you know me on this site from my son, his illness, and death. I currently live in Northern Idaho with my wife of 16 years and my two other children. I grew up in Western North Carolina and love the outdoors. I enjoy hunting, although I don’t hunt everything available since there is only so much time in life. I have harvested several animals over my lifetime including whitetail, mule deer, bear, and elk. Since the loss of my son I have been out in the wilderness and finding that it makes a connection with him and provides a peacefulness to my mind.

So my recent focus in hunting has become taking a wolf and a mountain lion since I live in a state where I can harvest these apex predators. I recently purchased a few Wolf traps and various gear from Minnesota Trapline. Since I do not own dogs, have been reading about some of the success on Mountain lions using calls and purchased a Fox Pro electronic call.
This live hunt could take a while to get thru but I will try to be as informative as possible while having fun being a novice on the quarry I am seeking.

So starting with the Wolf trapping. I took the required class, and ordered a little gear for this endeavor.
Here is some of the gear before cleaning, dying, and waxing.
Gear1.jpg
Gear2.jpg
Gear4.jpg

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
More

Here is a closer look at the dye. The sifter is dyed and the swivel is not so it takes away the shine.
Gear3.jpg
Gear4.jpg

Then it was on to the waxing.
Gear5.jpg
Gear6.jpg
Gear7.jpg

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
More

Now that all the gear was mostly ready, I put it all in a new plastic container and ready to be taken to the woods.
The kill box!
Gear8.jpg

The location I chose to setup up the traps is an area we got into some wolves calling in January of this year. It is a ridgeline around 3900 ft that is between two creek drainages with some areas of logged land along with heavy forested land.
Wolf Trap Area.JPG

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
More

The drive in.
Scenery1.jpg
Scenery2.jpg
Scenery3.jpg

Hiking in with the gear on a ten dollar sled, was still a workout since the snow was just over a foot deep. Note to self, remember to take snowshoes.
Gear 10.jpg
IMG_2039.jpg

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
More

So I did a pee post set and two lure sets.
Set1.jpg
Set2.jpg

The scenery is awesome.
Whoops, that is the scenery for the lady's??
IMG_2036.jpg
This is better.
Scenery6.jpg

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
More

Bull Moose standing in the road, got to about 30 yards before he moved.
Scenery5.jpg

Keep watching since I have to check the traps every 72 hours and will be trying to call for mountain lions in there as time allows.

Micah

Randle

WKR
Keeping an eye on this one looks like you are set let me know if need any help

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone! I am really excited!
Just remember I am a complete novice in trapping. I have spent hours reading, watching videos and just taking in as much as I can. I actually took the day off Wednesday so I can go check the traps for the first time without having to go in the dark. The biggest thing is recent intel and sightings on animals. I have another location about 15 miles from the one I set up on, that I got from a local who said a pack took down a buck on a road that I can drive up. He also indicated he had seen some fresh tracks along the power line near the top, which is around where I set the traps.
So the patience part is the hardest!!

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Keeping an eye on this one looks like you are set let me know if need any help

Hey man I would be more than happy to have you climb in the truck and ride up to check the traps. We could also try to find some fresh Mt. Lion sign and set up to call. I have some recent intel on an area with current Lion sign, but it is a good drive and it is probably 45 miles from the traps.

hobbes

WKR
Looking forward to updates on this. I've never trapped wolves, but trapped coyotes, foxes, and other furbearers back in the late 80's and early 90's. There is always a lot of excitement when aproaching a trap just before you can see the set. Good luck, I hope we get to see some fur.

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Alright people. Tomorrow is the day for the first trap check. I couldn't fall asleep last night thinking about it and tonights anticipation is even worse. Like a little kid on Christmas eve?? Even if the traps are empty I will still be happy to have the day of enjoying the wilderness, and will head over and try to locate some fresh Mt. Lion sign in another area.
Area has no cell service so it will be later at night before I post again.