2016 SLDMTN Alaska Hunting Season

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enjoying the trail cam pictures hope you get a replacement. Maybe some roofing nails liquid nailed on the camera would keep it becoming another snack

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enjoying the trail cam pictures hope you get a replacement. Maybe some roofing nails liquid nailed on the camera would keep it becoming another snack

A bear broke it off of the tree last year but I assumed it was from scratching on it as the camera itself was unscathed. I just need to mount it higher apparently.

KHNC

WKR
Well damn! your pics make me hate you! :eek:

J/k, good luck on the bear! Great job on the moose.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well damn! your pics make me hate you! :eek:

J/k, good luck on the bear! Great job on the moose.

Haha thanks! Headed out tonight to try my luck. Fingers crossed he's hungry tonight 👍🏻

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bear 1 : Me 0

We ran out of daylight tonight. Hopefully get an early start tomorrow. Weather will dictate that. It got nasty with a heavy rain/snow mix as the light faded.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well.....about 3" of snow on the ground. It was snowing hard at 0500. It's breaking up now though so hopefully I'll head out again soon.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck today

Thanks! Weather turned out really nice. However clear skies means it gets COLD.

Bear 2 : Me 0

I'm not sure if the bear moved on or was disturbed by our presence last night. Either way, it hadn't hit the bait while we were gone. It was a quiet night in the stand until the dogs started singing. Pack of coyotes came pretty close, just never into view.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bear 3 : Me 0

1463376472.jpg

Another cold night in the woods. This time I sat solo from 1830 to 0600. The bear has been on the bait since last weekend though. Just seems like it knows I'm there. I changed my tactics and visited the stand exactly like I do when I'm rebaiting, left on the wheeler and then snuck back in on foot. In past sits I've just snuck in on foot. After fresh bait supply, game camera shots of the bear normally have it back on the bait around 2300 but again I got skunked.

The rain delivered around midnight and the coyotes sang me another song. I did have a very cool moment when a hawk decided one of my hands was prey. I was watching it perched on a treetop, as I shifted my hand it bobbed its head a few times and then dove in on me. At 15-20 feet it realized its mistake and swerved away.

Cold and frustrated I drove back to Palmer so my wife could get to work. It was grinding doing chores today on zero sleep.

Last edited:
OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
On a side note, I should have some fresh pictures of the bear. I got a new unit on sale and hung it high up to avoid being munched.

Last edited:
OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since I don't have pictures of animals I'll add some color to the thread.

This last week of work took me to Unalaska aka Dutch Harbor. Couldn't resist getting in a few sheep training hikes.

1463376463.jpg

Some things are more important than sitting in a tree waiting for a bear.

1463377748.jpg

1463377670.jpg

I love taking my girls hunting. It always seems to stimulate conversation that would never happen given the distractions of everyday.

You can see which way we chose....

1463377674.jpg

The sign cracks me up every time I see it. You have to wonder what goes through people's minds when they come rolling down to the fork in the trail.

Miss Carly

1463377664.jpg

Love AK.

1463377666.jpg

Last edited:
OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll just leave this here....

1463892170.jpg

I'll add the rest of the pictures and the story tomorrow.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Way to stick with it though all those sits not seeing a bear. Looks like an awesome bear. It said there was a problem with the second video I couldn't view it. Was that the same bear and he came back? Congratulations again. Thanks for bringing me along

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome bear! Congrats!

Thank you!

Way to stick with it though all those sits not seeing a bear. Looks like an awesome bear. It said there was a problem with the second video I couldn't view it. Was that the same bear and he came back? Congratulations again. Thanks for bringing me along

Try it again. It seems to be working now. Same bear, actually only a minute apart. It spooked when I drew and then circled in behind the sow. I had no idea there would be two bears. I could hear them both testing the air. Such a cool experience.