5 guys, two boats vs interior Alaska, and 1100 river miles!

Orion94us

FNG
T minus 48 hours until departure on this trip. Just wanted to get this thread started now. Will not have internet, much less phone signal where I'm going so I will post pictures and full write up when I get back to service.

Due to promising some of those that have helped me with some of the logistical issues, I wont be posting the exact location of this hunt.

BUT, I can tell you this. By the end of the hunt we will have covered in excess of 1100 river miles. Two boats, 5 guys with Moose, Caribou, Black and Brown bear are on the short list; as well as any wolves, coyotes and other predators that happen to cross my path.

I've been planning this hunt for over a year now and the departure date cannot get here fast enough!!

Chris

Stid2677

WKR
Be safe,, just got home from the Southern Brooks. Flew over much of the Yukon and tribs,, they are all flowing at higher than normal rates with high water and lots of floatsum. Filter all gas bought on the river, since they like to throw in a quart of free water with every 5 gallons purchased. :)

How long do you PLAN for this trip to take? Just curious is all.

Me to. I'm thinking no less than three weeks. Sounds like a great trip, good luck and safe travels. I'm curious also as to how you're planning on keeping the meat from spoiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm subscribing. Sounds like a great trip.

If you are using a phone or fancy schmancy camera, make sure it is not set up to tag each shot with a GPS coordinate.

You boys have a chain saw as part of the gear list?

OP
Orion94us

Orion94us

FNG
Me to. I'm thinking no less than three weeks. Sounds like a great trip, good luck and safe travels. I'm curious also as to how you're planning on keeping the meat from spoiling.

Home to home again will be just under 3 weeks. We have a 2 1/2 day drive to where we are launching the boats. If the ambient temperatures don't cooperate to effectively get the meat chilled, we plan on having a friend fly in to galena and haul it back to a processor for us.

The first four or so days on the river will be spent rafting and exploring fishing holes for big pike and she fish. We are only planning on 5-7 days of actual moose camp type hunting. If we fill our primary goal quicker than that then we will pull stakes and head back early. Meat spoilage is at the top our concerns.

Yes, all gps location will be disabled on phones so there isn't any inadvertent Geo tagging lol.

Chris

OP
Orion94us

Orion94us

FNG
I'm subscribing. Sounds like a great trip.

If you are using a phone or fancy schmancy camera, make sure it is not set up to tag each shot with a GPS coordinate.

You boys have a chain saw as part of the gear list?

Yes, we made some creature comfort sacrifices to allow room and weight for the chain saw. We're able bodied enough to hand saw and manually chop trees for the meat pole, but why when we can use a chain saw lol.

I don't know why, but for some reason, I was assuming it was a float hunt. I've done similar hunts with my jet boat and I know Stid2677 has also. I'm sure he would agree that, It's also a good idea to bring some spare parts like fuel filters, fuel/water separator, etc. have a great time guys and make sure you take lots of pictures.

OP
Orion94us

Orion94us

FNG
I don't know why, but for some reason, I was assuming it was a float hunt. I've done similar hunts with my jet boat and I know Stid2677 has also. I'm sure he would agree that, It's also a good idea to bring some spare parts like fuel filters, fuel/water separator, etc. have a great time guys and make sure you take lots of pictures.

Actually at WestMarine right now looking for a fuel water separator funnel, just to add another layer of filtering to the river fuel. Hand pump has a filter as well as the boats. We're launching with 500 gallons of fuel. Hoping to keep river purchased fuel down to 200gallons or less.

Chris

Stid2677

WKR
Gas at Ruby is cheapest, no gas on the river last time I did the hunt except at Tanana. If you cache fuel, use 2 GPSs to mark it and remember people look for fuel this time of year and at 7 or 8 bucks a gallon in the village, fuel is money.

OP
Orion94us

Orion94us

FNG
16bc60ec3f129492c48e87c760e9aa1c.jpg

Everything in the boat getting tossed overboard. Had to empty all of the saltwater fishing gear and other "nice to haves", as well as scrub the front bow compartment to rid it of the fish slime. Ps. Ultra strength Dawn was not enough in one washing...

OP
Orion94us

Orion94us

FNG
999bc975ceb528b1a2803700370ce6e9.jpg

Starting to load the boat and stage fuel barrels...

Hey Chris, if you need extra fuel barrels I think I have 3–30 gallon drums that I no longer use and you're more than welcome to them. They're all clean and have only had gas in them. You could pick them up on your way out of town.

OP
Orion94us

Orion94us

FNG
Hey Chris, if you need extra fuel barrels I think I have 3–30 gallon drums that I no longer use and you're more than welcome to them. They're all clean and have only had gas in them. You could pick them up on your way out of town.

Wish I had checked my phone earlier! Back in Soldotna now. Will be back through your way on Thursday. I may take you up on that if we need them and it works out with your schedule.

OP
Orion94us

Orion94us

FNG
Aaaaannnnddd we're off!.... Well almost. Made it as far as Wasilla before vehicle #2 broke down.... Currently sitting at an Arby's waiting on the rest of the party, who is still on the Glenn highway waiting on a tow truck. The positive ? This happened on our way to pick up our final party member and he is able to tow the other boat the rest of the way north. Just waiting on tow truck to get the broken one off the highway. Then the journey will continue. Until then, it's roast beef and Mocha shakes!!...
850552ab41776c3367a304e0275a9eea.jpg

Well it looks like vehicle number one, towing the NR was the right choice, how about the dead one on the side of the road?