UTAH L.E. Archery Elk.

It was my original intention to make this a live hunt, but because of spotty, or no service during much of the hunt it will be a recap instead. I'll do my best to get this out quickly but it may take a few days to organize all my thoughts and sort through all the pics and videos, as well a finding time to write and post. This was a very difficult but exciting and rewarding hunt, and i hope you guys can share in some of that excitement, and frustration with me.

May 18

It all starts May 18 when drawing results are emailed and i have been notified that a Limited Entry Archery tag is on it`s way. Now it`s time to start getting ready for something just a little rarer than my annual elk or deer hunts. It`s still to early for scouting, so at this point i concentrate on making sure all my gear is in order, and my physical fitness. Mostly replacing anything that was lost, broken, or worn out from last years hunting. Then running and lifting two to three times a week. Although this is not a back country hunt, it will consist of day hikes every morning and evening from 2 to 5 miles with the occasional all day trek . And after a couple of weeks that can really start to take it's toll on a guy.

*********************************************************************************************************

SUCCESSFUL: Limited Entry Archery Bull Elk

Hunt: Central Mtns, Manti
Weapon: Archery
Your season date(s): Aug 20 - Sept 16, 2016

*********************************************************************************************************

OP
1Shot1Bull
June 25.

It's been a long spring waiting to get on the mountain, and it's still early but i'm going up anyway. a lot of the high country is still snowed in and it's tough getting to where i want to be. When i finally get there i'm rewarded with some nice pics of early season bulls and bachelor herds of elk.View attachment 40502View attachment 40503View attachment 40504

I also take the time to set up some trail camera's and hope and wait.

OP
1Shot1Bull
July 4th.

Back up the mountain again,this time camping with my family and friends for the weekend. I do find some time to spot elk, and now the trail cam pics are starting to roll in.
8cab2d7ce61bad728f23907f2697860e.jpg
ced5f30f4a30b8b1c6857c7715a1f940.jpg
1Shot1Bull - Rokslide(14105601) on Vimeo

OP
1Shot1Bull
July 24th.

This is a state holiday so the family and I are back on the mountain camping, fishing and at last scouting for more elk. The trail cams finally turn up some good bulls, as well as one we were able to spot and a nice six at forty yards hiking into a more remote basin.
dafe66c77f222c2d31062cad935535cc.jpg
792792842a2252cbddca867b0933e12a.jpg
f5ad75864b96c1c15b0f002a19605b2d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
1Shot1Bull
Aug 13

I had alot of other responsibilities that needed to be tended to in late July and early August, so this is the weekend before the opener and I'm finally able to go check cams again. Not surprisingly cattle and sheep have invaded all the high Country elk haunts. And between the hot weather the livestock and the weird behavior elk have when they start to rub, all the bulls have disappeared.

OP
1Shot1Bull
Aug 20.

Opening day starts of pretty slow. I'm forced because of the hunting pressure, the nocturnal activity of the elk and the pressure from cows and sheep to still hunt. Talk about hard. I have limited success getting on any good bulls and really don't want to invade the bedding areas. I call it a weekend and head home.

Last edited:
OP
1Shot1Bull
Aug 27.

Back at it again and this time I have three days to hunt. It's not very long until I realize that this is going to be tough. In Utah the L.E. elk , the general Archery elk, and the general Archery deer, all open on the same weekend. The entire mountain is covered with people. It not tough to remember why I hunt the back country now. I do a lot of still hunting again and am almost able to close the deal on that light colored bull with the sticker on his royal. But it's not to be as my stalk ends at 88 yards and I can only watch him for a minute before he winds me and leaves. I spend one night at a tree stand location and have opportunities at a spike and 2x2 bull but pass.
94f6f3500443f46b57d2957a51f37c3b.jpg
0c4689a0885b1707797bb4c42eb0189f.jpg
0fcdcd2ad481a23af98fb24dc03f532a.jpg

OP
1Shot1Bull
1Shot1Bull - Rokslide(14105601) on VimeoSept 1.

Back on the mountain. This time I'm here for the long haul. I have sixteen days left until the hunt ends, and I'll be here for all of it. I start by spotting a group of elk that night. My brother and I find a bachelor herd of six bulls, and make a plan to stalk them in the morning. When we find them the next day there are only five and the big bull is missing, but we are able to get close and have a fun time taking some video.
1079e3615dbc850cdee2f45a3cb8afa3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
1Shot1Bull
Sept 2.

I continue to hunt the next three days with similar results. Plenty of elk, but no keepers.

Sept 5.

After a long day spent in a deep dark hole of a canyon,I find a huge herd of bulls in the near dark while hiking back out to the jeep. I can't tell for sure what's in there, but I'll be back on tomorrow for a closer look.

Sept 6.

I'm back before light, setting up and spotting at the first Crack of dawn we find fifteen or so bulls all living in a small little side canyon and basin. My brother has gone back to work but I have help from my cousin. He spots the biggest bull in the bunch and the hunt is on. To make a long story short I spend the next four days trying to get on this bull with no luck. Although I have many opportunities at some of the smaller bulls, I'm not able to get within striking distance of the big one.
9806d3327b236986a783a4f483df4e76.jpg

If you look close you'll recognize him from the trail cam pictures.

OP
1Shot1Bull
Sept 10.

After four days of hunting one bull I decide that I need a break, and a change of scenery. Plus I don't think it would hurt to give the elk I've been hunting a chance to settle back down. So with that in mind we head to a different part of the mountain. After getting to the new area before dawn in immediately rewarded with bugle's in reply to my calling. In the now pre dawn light I try and get down wind and in the path of the elk. As the light begins to arrive it's soon obvious that my plan and theirs didn't quite match up. For the rest of the morning I try to play catch up but am never able to close the distance, and never get a look at the bull.

Later that day I go check a trail cam in the area and get my first glimpse of the bull that eluded me earlier.
181194f771d0e43451bbb0a6bc1468b5.jpg

OP
1Shot1Bull
I'm back at it that evening, and we are finally able to spot the herd and get a good look at the bull, but run out of time to put a stalk on him.

Sept 11.

Knowing where the herd was from the night before, I move my way closer in the pre dawn light. As I start closing in on the area I spot some cows in front of me at about 50 yards. At this point I just kneel and wait. I don't have to wait very long. Within ten minutes he shows up and starts chasing the cows around. When he stops to bugle I range him at fifty yards, I also range a tree a little closer at forty yards. As I draw my bow he walks up right next to the tree I just ranged and stops. As the sight's settle on his chest he starts to bugle again and I release. The shots good and now he's headed right for me. At about ten yards he starts to struggle so i nock another arrow. He makes it to about five feet with only a snow berry bush between him and I when I send another through him. And the rest they say is history.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to hunt these elk. And for all the support from my family and friends. I hope you all have a great season, and shoot straight.
77518c9c1ea4519e5e62d5ef7306e3f9.jpg
c55f3054feefa461e88fb783aca95d3c.jpg
f837eca5e3f11852931b64d5432cc47f.jpg
ae3bd7baa21d2da5050c00c973f6dd09.jpg

OP
1Shot1Bull
I just got a picture of the one that got away. A rifle hunter harvested him yesterday.
3360a720191b7f88e0fd358565b9156f.jpg