Semi live not so much hunt

It's 1st rifle in Colorado and I will be 62 in November. I'm not in the shape I was when I was younger. Bad back, hip and ankles. I love to hunt so that's what I am doing. I am also taking a different approach than I did for the last 50 years. Old dog new tricks.

I've been stealing ideas from a bunch of folks on this forum and Gritty Bowman and watching all of Aron Snyder ' s stuff since I moved back to Colorado 3 years ago. This is my second season since being back.

I hunted blackpowder on my A list and got tag soup. Hiked in 4 miles solo and hunted around a 3 mile radius. Just about killed me. I'm not doing it again but glad I spent the money on good light weight gear. It's still paying dividends.

I say that to set up this mornings hunt.

I headed out of town at 230 am and got to my spot at 6. Instead of hiking in I started glassing as soon as I could see. While I was setting up there was a couple of vehicles on the fire service road who were in a big hurry so you all watch our for them folks. Any just at legal shooting hours I hear 3 consecutive shots then a few minutes later I hear one more. Someone watched the elk for where they were bedding I'm thinking. By this time it's light enough to see out of my Vortex spotter. Instead of walking around I'm using something that Aron said that finally stuck in my mind. "I am not walking a mile and a half unless I know where the elk are". After muzzy season I checked that box.

About 7 am I pick up 5 head of elk moving west to east below a ridge line. I'm in luck. I also watch the same elk skirt 4 other hunters. Easy to see the blaze orange. I doubt any of them saw those elk.

I watched the herd to try and figure out how I could get in front of them. They were heading into a draw and probably going to cross a really steep ridge or hunker down in the dead fall and dark timber. I'm on the chase.

I took a visual way point and headed for a trail I scouted two years ago. SHTF may remember that trip cause I called him when I wasn't sure if I could get off the mountain because I blew out my ankle.

I made the trail and headed in as quickly as possible for me. By my GPS I wandered with a purpose for 3 miles and no sign of the elk. I don't think they crossed the top of the ridge because there is snow where the draw narrows and it's damp on the east side.

I am headed back to the truck for lunch and then setting up to spot for the afternoon.

Tag soup this morning but I saw elk.

We'll see what happens this afternoon.

OP
B
So I glassed several areas this afternoon. Saw a really nice muley buck but no tag. I'm going to have some Heathers choice and chill out. Back at it on the morning.
Thanks for the good wishes.

OP
B
I am glassing the day away. Very different than what I have done in the past. learning to be persistent at sitting.

OP
B
Tag soup today. lots of what I presume to be road hunters. Wind was pretty gusty and cold. Glad to get back to the truck and heat water for a delicious meal.

OP
B
Well I had too head home today to take care of family and work obligations. Tag soup but I hunted. I am reflecting on a few things I learned. I wanted to say thanks to you guys for the support. Elk steak would have been nice but I have had tag soup before. I'll scout more for next year's hunt.