Rokslide Mule Deer Hunt- with Tanya and Robby (guided by Fuzzy Wuzzy)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey all,
the rut is on! Me and Charlie horse have spent the last four days riding and glassing about 6 square miles of deer country- racking up almost 18 hours behind the big Swaro's 15x.

Every mature buck I've seen is either chasing does or close to them. I've only turned up two shooters and wasn't able to get on them before they disappeared in the brush. This is typical Idaho aspen/sage/conifer/bitterbrush/serviceberry (and a bunch of other "thick" stuff). It grows big deer simply because they have so much cover to hide in. I've scouted the area since August and honestly, there aren't many big deer available. Plenty of bucks, but will be very lucky to see a real toad.

My wife Jodi is headed to the airport to pick up Tanya right now, and Ryan is driving in from another hunt later today.

We're hunting the same area Ryan and Kenton hunted last year (see http://www.rokslide.com/forums/roks...lite-buck-hunt-ryan-avery-kenton-carruth.html ) but the weather is drastically different. Instead of snow and cold, it's clear blue sky with highs pushing 60. Tougher conditions but great for glassing. We've had over 5" of rain in the last two months and that's a lot for around here. Lots of mud but makes for quiet hiking once the ground thaws.

The best buck I've seen was this morning around 9:10 AM. He was over 2.5 miles away and with the wind and mirage, was hard to get a good look at through the Swaro 25-50x, but he looked pretty good. Once I pick up Tanya, we'll head out after him. Bucks are traveling a lot with the rut coming on so not sure how close he'll be to where I saw him.

I'll be shooting my Christensen Arms Summit Carbon in 270 WSM.
attachment.php

Not sure yet what Tanya is shooting, but knowing Ryan, we'll probably be able to shoot into the next county if we see a buck over there.

I learn something on every hunt and this one probably won't be any different. In fact, last year on this hunt, I learned that the standard toilet plunger we use in the trailer just wasn't enough for Fuzzy Wuzzy. I broke out this industrial-sized one. Tag says it can push a bowling ball through a straw, so hopefully it will be enough for Ryan. We'll see I guess.

attachment.php

Be sure and subscribe to this thread at "Thread Tools" at top of this post if you want to follow along.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Always grateful you take the time to post your live hunts, love it! Hope you find and kill two great animals.
Stay safe and have fun!

Mark

WKR
In fact, last year on this hunt, I learned that the standard toilet plunger we use in the trailer just wasn't enough for Fuzzy Wuzzy. I broke out this industrial-sized one. Tag says it can push a bowling ball through a straw, so hopefully it will be enough for Ryan. We'll see I guess.

attachment.php

I'll never be able to un-read that. I really, really wish I could. It's sorta like Aron's man-scaping thread from years past. I just didn't need to know...

hibler60

FNG
That poor toilet. Good luck and shoot straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We set an ambush near the saddle where that good buck went through this morning. Never saw him but several other bucks (including the one Ryan posted above) and plenty of does. Found a match set of moose sheds- Tanya will post a photo. We'll try it again in the morning. Plenty of does to pull a buck in.

Tanya is hurt her hip and is post surgery just a few weeks so she has to take it easy- perfect for ambush hunting.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you gave up shed hunting Robby? :) Nice ones nonetheless.
Not completely 😄
My sweet wife made us all dinner last night so we stayed at my house. Her and Tanya are best buds. Headed back up the mountain this morning.

It's five am. Was going to wake up FW but before I did, I checked to see if he had his Yoda jammies on (weird stalking a sleeping grown man , I know). No footie jammie's yet. Need to give him stronger margaritas I guess. I'll keep trying. Heading back to the big saddle where that buck was yesterday.

7mag- lmao. If you saw what I did last year, you'd judge too

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
c4bb3bb6b0a1407b636ee50ff5b951df.jpg

'R' stands for 'Rokstar' as far as I'm concerned. This hot cup of coffee was waiting for me this am when I got up. . Robby you are the real MVP today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk