Slim's solo AZ adventure! (Live hunt)

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Ok sorry everyone. When I located this buck below me this morning, I didn't want to go after it. I was looking for something bigger, but I wanted to try out the new decoy to see how the buck would react to it. When I started the stalk everything was perfect. Wind , landscape, moist ground from the rain for silent steps, no other deers eyes, everything was just right. As I neared about 100 yards, I slipped off the boots and only moved when the wind blew or a plane would fly overhead. I knew that if I made to a certain bush in front of me, I would be about 25 or so yards away on top of him. Well I made the perfect stalk and ranged him at 35 shooting 30 yards. I sat there with a nocked arrow contemplating if I should him. The buck looked right up at me and seen the decoy and just laid there chillin. My mind started f--n with me, look at those vitals, look at all that meat, the wife and kids don't have to wait till Christmas Eve to see me, I can shoot another buck in two weeks after the new year. But wait, I want to shoot a bigger buck. These are all the things that were going through my head, but with everything being so perfect I let the carbon fly!!

This is one of the smaller antlered bucks I've shot but one of the biggest bodied deer I've shot. I usually can put a full deboned mule deer in my Kifaru baggie but not with this deer. The bag was full and I still had the back straps, tenderloins, and heart!!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I'm not going home yet because I want to glass up some more deer. I can buy another OTC tag in two weeks and if I find a good one, I'll be back. I'll post pics of what I see tomorrow

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll see the big one for sure now that you punched your tag for this year

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
You'll see the big one for sure now that you punched your tag for this year

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hahaha that's the way it works. I doubt it, I talked to quite a few of the local hunters in the area yesterday and no one has seen anything big in the area yet. I don't think the rut has kicked in fully yet. The bigger ones will probably be showing up in another week or two. I've been hunting this area for quite a few years and I've yet to see a bigger deer than the one I got two years ago. I'll probably be heading to a different area next year to find some bigger bucks.