Slim's solo AZ adventure! (Live hunt)

Slim Jim

WKR
I am doing another live hunt this year in AZ. Usually I head down and hunt unit 22 at the beginning of the year, but this year that unit's season opens on December 16th so I am going to head out Friday. Let's hope the rut is jumping!
I have learned so much over the years here on the Rok since becoming a member back in the beginning of this site when there were only a few hundred members. It's been so awesome watching this great site grow, especially because the owners are great guys. There are so many new members now and I feel that I should be giving back by doing these live hunts. Hopefully it will be entertaining enough for everyone to stay tuned. I'll be doing my best to post plenty of picks and give play by plays as much as possible. The reason that I'm starting a couple of days early is because I'd like to show my preparation for this hunt before I leave. Here are a couple pics of my buck from the last live hunt I did here on the Rok two years ago.

I know he isn't a monster but for an OTC tag, he isn't bad. My plan this year is to base camp at the wilderness line and hike in everyday. I'll probably be putting on about 5-8 miles roughly each day working different vantage points. Mornings until about noon, I'm going to glass up mulies at about 3500'-4500' in elevation then I'll move to higher elevations in the afternoons to try an glass up some coues deer unless I find a real nice shooter muley buck. More to come this evening....

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I forgot to mention that I'll be hunting till Christmas Eve. 7-1/2 days

I just got all my dry foods together for the hunt.

For breakfast I have instant oatmeal with a scoop of MTN OPS pumpkin spice Magnum and a cup of Joe. All day pack food is packaged in 7 individual quart bags.
For my dinners I'll be bringing venison burger and antelope steaks. Hot dogs with chili (chili dogs). Also some cup-a-noodles with salmon for the quick and easy nights when I'm really tired. And plenty of MTN OPS Yeti and Blaze to stay focused

colersu22

WKR
I always like these live hunts to make the work day go by faster. What's your gear list look like with it being a base camp hunt and hiking in every day?

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Hopefully on this hunt my luck continues.
My recent luck started around the end of October when I won the MTN OPS box consisting of $3500 worth of prizes after placing my monthly order.

If you haven't tried their product yet, you should. I've had nothing but good results weight training and PR's consistently on my cardio workouts. Plus the owners and crew have to be some of the coolest people I have ever met. I think that their shit is the new school crack

Anyways, my luck continued last week at the RMEF Christmas convention right here in Las Vegas. I shot the Broken arrow tour put on by Total Archery Challenge and tied for 1st for the grand prize of $4000 (we had to split) and two best of days for another $1000!! Now I'm qualified for nationals where the purse is much larger.

Unreal luck right now, just enjoying the moment and hope that it carries over this next week.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I always like these live hunts to make the work day go by faster. What's your gear list look like with it being a base camp hunt and hiking in every day?

I'll post pics of my gear today. To much to list but if there are any items in question, I'll be more than happy to answer.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Well I just finished up shooting my last long range day before the hunt. I shot with a new decoy attached to my bow that I'll be trying out this year. I hope it helps with the does that always seem to bust me . It seemed to open my groups up a little once I got to 100 yards but that's alright because I don't plan on shooting at an animal at that distance. Here is a pic of my 90 yard group today. About a 6-7" group

I shoot about 320+ days a year and I'm feeling really good about my shots. Tomorrow I'll shoot about 3 dozen more arrows at 20 yards as that will be my last day before I head out.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Got all my pack gear and clothes ready to roll.

My base camp gear is in the garage and ready to go as well. I'm getting super pumped to head out after work on Friday!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Be interesting to see how the decoy works out for you. If it's a winner I'm getting one

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Finished up my last workout today with only a 3 mile run, no weights. I usually lift weights and run Monday thru Friday but I want to feel fresh when I hit the trail Saturday morning. Also got the truck loaded up and ready to go!

There is a cold front hitting hard tonight so I'm hoping that really gets the bucks moving with their noses out!!