A quick fishing trip in the backcountry

Hi all,

I recently went on a quick fishing trip in one of my favourite spots. Unfortunately, on the walk in to my spot, I got heavily rained on before I could set my gear up. Rather than set up after the storm and risk not being able to dry myself out easily down in the gorge, I hiked out of the spot and camped on top of the mountain, and then set my alarm at 4am so I could walk back in again the next day. :mad: Not ideal for what was to be my first proper backpacking and camping expedition, but at least I got some good fitness in. ;)

Here I am, just before the walk in and obviously before the storm hit me.

Taking shelter on the walk out when the storm was getting pretty bad. Everything in my pack was fine but because it was just an overnight trip, the only clothes I had were the ones I was wearing, so I thought I'd better try and dry out that night.

The storm after it had passed over me.

The obligatory sunset photo.

OP
W
I walked back in the next morning and crashing down the steep hill was difficult with no sun, but I managed OK. I got to the furthest hole I wanted to target and started having a crack.

This little fella gave me a thump very early.

This one hammered me. It's the biggest fish I've caught out of the system, and the biggest one I've caught in the last 20 or more years! A very nice, healthy cod.

A couple of others from a different part of the river.

OP
W
Here are some other photos I took during the morning.

About to hit the big walk out.

Brewing up a coffee to wake me up after the early start.

Thanks for looking, everyone. :)

OP
W
What rifle is that?
It's one of the older S1 Weatherby Vanguards, but it came from the factory with the fibreglass B&C stock, so the model is a 'Fibreguard'. It's chambered in .308 and wears a burris Fullfield II in 3-9x40. Not overly expensive, and not overly fancy, but the first rifle I ever owned, and an absolute workhorse.

OP
W
So you took the 308 along to???
Just saw the correction.

Yes, I took my rifle. I was keen to shoot some feral goats for meat, but I didn't see any for the morning. Saw plenty in the afternoon before I got rained on but it was too late to knock them and get the meat. I'm heading back up in a little over a week so I'll get some meat and do another report then.

BGLEMIN

FNG
Looks like a blast! Those fish look like good fighters but how well do they fry up?

OP
W
Looks like a blast! Those fish look like good fighters but how well do they fry up?
I've never eaten one, mate. I release them all. Some people like eating them but we have fairly strict bag limits and catch and release is promoted a lot more here in Australia with this species. Their populations are managed well by fisherman and we have lots of re-stocking of waterways happening in order to keep the population sustained so people can enjoy fishing for them. The big ones get REALLY big and they can live for a long time, so their populations don't fluctuate in the same way as fish over in North America.