Average Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJ

I just spent at least 4 hours at work reading this entire thread and I am so glad I did! I can't wait to read about the rest of the season from you guys!
Thank you! We're glad you read it all as well! Haha.

Glad we could help you get through the work day too. ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
Lostinthewoods
I just spent at least 4 hours at work reading this entire thread and I am so glad I did! I can't wait to read about the rest of the season from you guys!

Thanks for taking the time to read it! Rokslide has definitely helped me get through many days of work too!
What part of MA are you from? I grew up in Sandwich, MA.

OP
Lostinthewoods
I'm crying on the inside a little.
I just had a beautiful shooter buck come in, but the wind shifted to an unforecasted direction for about 25 minutes.... right when he came in....

He was about 13 yards away over my right shoulder and was suppose to cross under me and head down to his scrape that is 19 yards away. He would have given me a nice quartering away shot.

Beautiful buck too.....ahhhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Lostinthewoods
[video=youtube_share;C3RpOhjHdME]https://youtu.be/C3RpOhjHdME[/video]

No deer tonight, but I did have this bobcat come in for a few minutes and give me a show!

OP
Lostinthewoods
I couldn't pass anymore!
I keep getting so excited when they come in. This doe came in solo and was looking good.

She will make excellent summer sausage. Yum!

eb459186652ef6d7fb506de8f1c09a37.jpg

OP
Lostinthewoods
Today was the final morning of my Kentucky adventure. It was a BEAUTIFUL crisp and cool morning. It was rifle opener and I couldn't resist....

I set my ground blind up down up against the corn to get a full field view.

dddbf8ef9beafc42efc558ca23715c53.jpg

fb7a12ba6e79c2712887135bd60c22dc.jpg

acee120527c9f3dbc1fc8d1be7ccb361.jpg

First minute of legal light I had an 8" spike come in to about 25 yards. He of course got the pass.

Then around 8:15 I let out some grunts and a big ol buck came in. At first I thought he was going to come into a shooting lane, but he ended up going into the corn behind me. I'm sure he winded me, but he never came out or presented any type of shot.

At around 10 a doe hit the field. I watched her for a few seconds and then a small buck popped out. I wanted a buck bad this trip, but he was a small fork and I couldn't do it. This was him

41b4081dd4408f8622b1eb128a6994b5.jpg

I watched them for about 10 minutes to see if another buck would step out. Nothing did so I shot the doe because she was a healthy looking one and I'm dreaming of some whitetail chili!

90c3cc4e3f45aa007f22b74c7256efdf.jpg

I can still possibly sneak back and try to fill my last two tags on a buck. We will see though. I had an absolute ball in KY. It's such a beautiful place.

Now I'm heading home to spend 36 hours with my beautiful wife and daughter. Then it's on to Texas for a work trip and then Oklahoma for another whitetail/mule deer bow hunt!

Life is good!

Looks like I'll be heading back to AZ for a little fun with the tradbow and good friends.

6d1abf63aad7e90c6175184bce8366f2.jpg

My buddy is buying a deer tag too, so I'm sure it's going to be a great trip. I can't wait.

OP
Lostinthewoods
I made it home at 1am last night.

85da7ac2f6d2b792c18cc9d4941b426e.jpg

I'm doing tons of laundry, cleaning gear, and repacking! I'm back on the road in about 18 hours. My work conference starts Wednesday, so I may be able to sneak out to Oklahoma Tuesday, get some blinds built, hang some cameras, and hunt. Then I'll be back out there Friday night through Wednesday!

I'm not going to sleep until this trip starts, I'm VERY EXCITED. This is whitetail hunting like no other. The terrain is weird, it's all ground hunting, and I've done pretty well out there in the past. 4 deer in three years. Three of which were bucks. So I'd like to keep the streak going!

Wow. You guys are truly living the dream! Idaho moose and Barbary sheep in NM are great hunts! Congrats!

OP
Lostinthewoods
I ended up getting into Texas a day before my work conference started.

The WMA I hunt in Oklahoma is only a few hours away so I decided to blitz out for a day trip, to hang cams, built some blinds, and scout my honey holes.

52f77e349a1c9f347bb7e845f9958b2e.jpg

934256219f4750fe74d33b730d87094d.jpg

db322ab8f450a32b3355cdda15ea34ff.jpg

I spent the morning glassing an creek bed that I knew got active during the pre-rut and rut.

I saw a doe, a spike, a very pretty fork horn mule deer at 72 yards and then the second biggest whitetail I've ever seen alive in person.....at 80 yards away. Ahhhhh
I had a couple minutes where I was able to watch this monster in my binos and I FIRMLY believe he was a 150+" 8 pointer.....

Im not a trophy hunter by any means, but I just wanted to say his score to give everyone an idea of how big this guy was.

He was one of the nicest looking deer I've ever seen. He had dark chocolate tines with ivory white tips. Ahhhh that buck will haunt my dreams until I get back out there.

I'm very familiar with the area this buck was in and now that I knew there was a mature buck in the area I checked some other spots that surrounded this area. I checked them because I had focused on this area hard in 2014 when I was chasing a very mature buck (who happens to be the biggest deer I've ever seen in person and now hangs on my wall)

Well.... he's in the same areas as my other buck was.

a401bd4c2099c17057d70d7039d675af.jpg

159f291dfafdab3f69902e39d24f46cb.jpg

b976f2bc42b5a0476b11463eb26ea66e.jpg

I'll have time against me because I haven't been able to scout this place all year like I use to when I lived in NM, but I will give it my all. My buddy did hang a camera for me in one of my honey holes before I got out and I've got lots of activity....

Last edited:
OP
Lostinthewoods
Here are some of the pics.

d931df05bd6b31e7853ba2bdee5616c0.jpg

ffd6130edac5a103797668aed239729d.jpg

327863dcfd1396ed3265a83b1837d57e.jpg

b23558d5ca65cb1d80d962cbb53e66e8.jpg

f2fdfc303678544bc4d235f8b9eea45a.jpg

Speaking of hogs, I did have one come in at 45 yards yesterday, but it happened so fast I couldn't get a shot off! They are quick!
I found a few hog wallows so I'll be chasing a lot of things the next few days.

8527ebd83892a6ba501aa874c3fb9255.jpg

So now I'm stuck at my work conference dreaming of hunting. I'll be back out there Friday evening and I cannot wait!!!

Scoot

WKR
What a wonderful thread! Congrats on a really great year filled with lots of great memories and meals! I loved the pictures involving the kids- that's just flat out awesome!

OP
Lostinthewoods
What a wonderful thread! Congrats on a really great year filled with lots of great memories and meals! I loved the pictures involving the kids- that's just flat out awesome!

Scoot, thanks for taking the time to follow along.
We appreciate the feedback.

Wow. You guys are truly living the dream! Idaho moose and Barbary sheep in NM are great hunts! Congrats!

Thanks! The moose and barb are both awesome hunts, and even though I can hunt barbs every year, that ram is truly once in a lifetime.

It's been an amazing season, and it's not over yet. I'm heading east tomorrow with a buddy who's never hunted out west before. He picked up a cow tag, and I'm hopeful all the snow in the mountains has pushed the elk down into the fields.

I'll be packing the coyote gun and mouth calls, so I'm sure we'll kill something. Maybe even find some sheds.

Thank you! This year is definitely the most diverse harvest I've ever had, and it's such a blessing to have a full freezer (2 actually) and to be able to give away a few hundred pounds of meat as well. As long as I can remember, my dad and grandpa have been donating or giving meat to friends or less fortunate people. Meat has always been the most important tangible reward from my time in the field, and equally important are the memories and life lessons that can only be learned through spending time in nature.

It's one of my goals to pass on these traditions and maybe ignite a passion within my children for the outdoors.

Also, "meat" is one of my son's favorite words right now. It's awesome.

OP
Lostinthewoods
I just need to get through a few more hours of this work conference, pick my buddy up at the airport, and I am heading back to Oklahoma!!!!
Temps will be cooling down tonight and I cannot wait to get back out there!