Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Post Thanks / Like

I picked my buddy up at the airport and we made our way to Oklahoma.

Before we left Texas we stopped to visit a buddy to see his monster whitetail that he shot this year.... talk about some motivation.

Talk about STUD!

Alright, back on the road!

Once we hit the border we stopped at a tiny little towns steak house and enjoyed a quick meal.

We got to our "camp", meet up with another buddy, set up and grabbed some snacks.

Tomorrow is going to be a WINDY day, but we will make it happen.

I'll check cams and get us a good game plan going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was a very busy day.
    We woke up to 40mph winds and that made it pretty interesting morning.

I wasn't seeing anything, so I met up with a buddy who said he was watching some does play about 600 yards away.
    I put up my binos and sure enough there were some mule deer bedded down across a canyon.

We couldn't walk directly towards them because they would have pegged us, so swept a long way around and game in on the same level as them. We got within 30 yards and saw there was a buck and three does. I told my buddy he could shoot the buck and I'd shoot a doe. My buddy shot and then I shot my doe. I watched her go about 50 yards and fall over. These mechanical broadheads do alright on deer!

We went to investigate my buddies shot and after about 4 hours of searching we came to the conclusion that he didn't hit the deer.

Here is my doe

Today I saw a total of 14 deer, but no bucks that I was interested in.

The winds are gone now and the temps are dropping a bunch, so I have a real good feeling about tomorrow.
    Last edited by Lostinthewoods; 5 Days Ago at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty dang excited about this doe.
    This is my fourth season using a bow and this doe was my number 10 deer bow kill.
    On top of that this was the first deer that I've seen bedded and been able to sneak in on. Even better I was able to do it right next to a good buddy.

Today was a great day.

Post Thanks / Like
    What mechanicals are you running? I just switched to Rage this month after weak blood trails on several deer shot with fixed heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster440 View Post
    What mechanicals are you running? I just switched to Rage this month after weak blood trails on several deer shot with fixed heads.

The NAP spitfire. This is the second deer I've killed with them and I was happy with the results.
    I typically shoot shuttle T locks for elk and deer, but I wanted to try something new.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well tonight's going to be a long and dreadful night.

This season has been so good to me, but today I sucker punched myself....

The morning started great. Super crisp and cold morning after a super windy day.

My buddy wanted to sit a food plot and had two deer come in early. One being a nice buck.

While he was watching those, I was in a little deeper in a spot I knew deer traveled through a lot in November. Sure enough at 7:55 a buck came in at 36 yards... quartering away... calm... I stop him, fire, and hit back. The second I saw the hit I knew I wasn't going to be having a good day. He ran 35 yards and stood there. He was behind some brush and trees, but with my binos I could see him. He stood for what seemed like 3-5 minutes and then bedded down. I was able to see his antlers doing the dead head wobble for about 30 minutes.
    When I figure hit the buck back I told myself I was waiting a 4 hour minimum.

After 1 3/4 hours and being over an hour since I saw the head moving, LIKE AN IDIOT.... I decided to move to higher ground to get a better view. As I crested the top the buck was alive and could see me. I sat down and watched him in my binos, but after 10 minutes he got up and walked off....
    He was moving really slow and I knew he was hurt. In my head I was thinking I hit liver and guts. From the side I could see (entry side) I couldn't see anything.

He was heading towards and area I'm familiar with and I decided I needed to get ahead of him because he was moving so slow. I sprinted across a canyon, 4 fingers, and got to a ridge I knew he would probably pass. As I crest that ridge, guess who is under me.... then like an idiot... I went into kill mode instead of take your time and range mode.... I figured he was 40 and shot right over his back...
    He was at 30 yards.....

I watched him walk away. He didn't sprint or blast out. So I marked last spot I saw him and backed out.

I went back to where he first bedded down and this is what I found.

Based off this blood I think I hit liver.
    Now I was really mad because if I would have just sat still or backed out this buck would be in my truck.

I backed out for lunch and an additional 3 hours. I went in to where I saw him last this evening and grid searched for 3 hours until last light... nothing...

I could be sick. I'll be back out there all tomorrow looking for this buck, but I'm so mad at myself for breaking my own golden rule. If in doubt... pull out! Don't push those deer! I'm so mad....
    My arrow reads 100% gut, but I still think I hit some liver too.

On a positive note my buddy shot a nice buck tonight.

I'll post results of how the search goes tomorrow.... 🤢

Post Thanks / Like
    This was the buck I shot today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the elk hunt with my buddy was uneventful. We saw zero elk, and my buddy managed to catch a pretty bad cold so we called it after the first day. We saw quite a few deer, and I rolled a coyote but couldn't find him in the sage and grass.

Shooting that coyote have me the predator hunting itch, so this afternoon I took my coyote gun for nature hike in the foothills.

I didn't find any coyotes, but I was reminded that I should have bought a second deer tag after I found these 2 bucks trying to find some love.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostinthewoods View Post
    Well tonight's going to be a long and dreadful night.

This season has been so good to me, but today I sucker punched myself....

The morning started great. Super crisp and cold morning after a super windy day.

My buddy wanted to sit a food plot and had two deer come in early. One being a nice buck.

While he was watching those, I was in a little deeper in a spot I knew deer traveled through a lot in November. Sure enough at 7:55 a buck came in at 36 yards... quartering away... calm... I stop him, fire, and hit back. The second I saw the hit I knew I wasn't going to be having a good day. He ran 35 yards and stood there. He was behind some brush and trees, but with my binos I could see him. He stood for what seemed like 3-5 minutes and then bedded down. I was able to see his antlers doing the dead head wobble for about 30 minutes.
    When I figure hit the buck back I told myself I was waiting a 4 hour minimum.

After 1 3/4 hours and being over an hour since I saw the head moving, LIKE AN IDIOT.... I decided to move to higher ground to get a better view. As I crested the top the buck was alive and could see me. I sat down and watched him in my binos, but after 10 minutes he got up and walked off....
    He was moving really slow and I knew he was hurt. In my head I was thinking I hit liver and guts. From the side I could see (entry side) I couldn't see anything.

He was heading towards and area I'm familiar with and I decided I needed to get ahead of him because he was moving so slow. I sprinted across a canyon, 4 fingers, and got to a ridge I knew he would probably pass. As I crest that ridge, guess who is under me.... then like an idiot... I went into kill mode instead of take your time and range mode.... I figured he was 40 and shot right over his back...
    He was at 30 yards.....

I watched him walk away. He didn't sprint or blast out. So I marked last spot I saw him and backed out.

I went back to where he first bedded down and this is what I found.

Based off this blood I think I hit liver.
    Now I was really mad because if I would have just sat still or backed out this buck would be in my truck.

I backed out for lunch and an additional 3 hours. I went in to where I saw him last this evening and grid searched for 3 hours until last light... nothing...

I could be sick. I'll be back out there all tomorrow looking for this buck, but I'm so mad at myself for breaking my own golden rule. If in doubt... pull out! Don't push those deer! I'm so mad....
    My arrow reads 100% gut, but I still think I hit some liver too.

On a positive note my buddy shot a nice buck tonight.

I'll post results of how the search goes tomorrow.... 🤢

Good luck! I hit a buck about a month ago a little far back as well. Backed out and went back in the am and found him. It's sickening thinking about them all night! It'll work out!

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster440 View Post
    Good luck! I hit a buck about a month ago a little far back as well. Backed out and went back in the am and found him. It's sickening thinking about them all night! It'll work out!

I wish that was the case today. It did not end well.
    I've never searched so hard for something, but he was no where to be found.

--------------------------

I searched the entire day and found nothing. I looked for blood, I looked for him, I grid searched the entire area and well beyond.... nothing.
    I'm absolutely sick! I've not gut shot anything before and it's not a good feeling at all. This was quite the learning experience and not a fun one.

During my search I did find some trash (which I picked up), a bunch of sign, and a shed.

If you ever wondered where those balloons fly off to.... its Oklahoma WMAs.

Very nice whitetail shed. If this was last years then he's going to be a dandy this year and the next. It's cool how he has the sticker on the inside of his beam.

There's something like 6-8 rubs in this picture.

My two buddies sat a food plot tonight and had a buck come in, but it didn't present a shot. They got it on film though and it came out pretty cool. Young buck with a main beam snapped off on one side.

As much as I hate to say it, but after the all day search I am officially calling it off. Tomorrow is my last day to hunt before I go spend thanksgiving in New Mexico, so I will hit it hard.

It'll be some nasty winds, but we will make it work.