Average Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJ

OP
Lostinthewoods
I'll try not to take too long to get some stories up, but I've got a long drive ahead of me!
Good news though.... I tagged out in Kentucky on two nice gobblers!!!!!

I'll get some stories and pictures up later tonight or tomorrow!! :D

OP
Lostinthewoods
I had such an amazing time out in Kentucky this weekend. I truly love it out there and could definitely see myself picking up some property out there at some point. The people are nice, the terrain is beautiful, and there is no shortage of animals.

I left work Thursday around noon and drove straight out. It's a 12 hour drive (plus going Central time to Eastern time so I lost another hour). I stopped about 2 hours out and "slept" for about two hours in my truck. I met my buddy at around 5:45 and we went out to a farm he has hunted for years. I already had a place I wanted to hunt, but he told me it would be beneficial to go check this property out because it was always very active. Around 6:30 we were serenaded by at least 10 different birds in multiple hollows. I was so fired up!
I slept Friday night and woke up SUPER pumped Saturday morning at 4, drank my coffee, and we hiked out a mile to our spot.

We were walking in and birds were already talking. A bit surprising because it was so early, but I didn't care!
We set up and had 3 birds talking within 100 yards.
Around 6:45 we let out a few calls and the birds responded. SWEET! Time to be quiet and see what happens.
Then a hen started talking directly above us.... OOPS! Talk about interesting set up.
At 6:55 I saw a bird fly down behind us and walked into the timber... DARN.
Then I heard the other two drop down and they walked up to the field edge we were on.
They saw our decoys and made their way over to us.
I had a jake over a hen in a breeding position and for some reason the birds didn't bite.
They stayed out at 48 yards and wouldn't commit.
I gave them a little bit longer, they got to 45 yards, and my buddy said "take the second bird"..... BOOM.
7AM opening morning in KY and the bird was down!

23.5lbs, 9" beard, and 7/8" & 1" spurs!
I was so happy!!!

OP
Lostinthewoods
We cleaned the bird, went to my buddies daughter's soccer game, I got a nap, and then I decided to go scout the property I originally went up to hunt.
I got out there and found birds right where I figured they would be.
Kentucky only allows you to kill one a day so it drove me nuts to watch a strutter put on a show for his hen for three hours!
I wanted to see where they were going to roost.

It's a good thing I didn't leave because in the last hour.... two more hens and two more gobblers showed up!!!

I could only see at the end of the power lines, but the birds moved out of site right at last light and I figured I had an idea of where they were going to roost!

OP
Lostinthewoods
Saturday night was tough to sleep because I was so fricken pumped up!
4 AM came around, grabbed my coffee, and went out extra early.

I didn't exactly know where the birds were and the moon was out pretty bright, so I had to get a little silly.
I was afraid they would see me coming in and setting up, so about 150 yards out I set up my pop up blind, got inside with my gear, lifted it, and moved in closer....
In my mind I was ok with looking like a cow verse something unknown.
I got about 50 yards to the timber line, set up my jake, and then backed up 10 yards.

Around 6:30 the birds started firing off. They were further down than I had hoped, but they were still close enough.
At around 7 I saw birds coming into the field..... they were about 100 yards off.
I started calling, they would respond, but just hung out. Then the hens showed up.... DOH!
I started calling and a hen started responding. I decided to start mimicking her and you know what? It worked!
She started coming in close to me with the gobblers in tow.
If she talked, I did the same thing louder. Then as she got closer I started cutting her off.
They came in to about 70 yards, but then they stopped.
I'm not sure if it's because I didn't have a hen decoy out or something, but they turned a different direction and went out into a corn field.
I was in a small little bowl so every now and then I could see them up higher in the field.

After about an hour of waiting I decided I needed to make a plan. It was Easter, I had a 12 hour drive ahead of me, and I missed my girls.....
So I told myself that I can either try for these birds and shoot one or try for these birds and spook them....
Regardless I'd be trying and then could get home!

In my pack I had what I called my "stealth kit" Shorts and a ghille suit.
I stripped down and put on the shorts and upper part of the suit, plus a facemask and gloves.
There was nice slope that I could use to my advantage to crawl up to the birds, then some brush and a telephone pole that I could use to pop up and get a look.
I crawled about 75 yards, popped up, and saw them well within range.

I popped the safety off, stood up, and shot the closest strutter. He was turned with his back to me and didn't fair so well to the 20 yard shot.....
WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!

I live for this kind of stuff. I was able to crawl up and shoot a VERY nice bird. :D

25lbs, 10" beard (two toned beard), and 1 1/4" spurs!

What an amazing experience! I love love love turkey hunting and I had such a great time.
I cleaned up the bird and blitzed home to my two beautiful girls.
I'm so lucky to have such an understanding wife who lets me continue to do my passion!

One of the things on my to-do list this summer is 50 mile memorial ruck race in July. Ruck Race

The race is run by a classmate of mine, and is in memorial of a different classmate who died in a motorcycle accident in 2013. Corwine was one of the best people I've met in my life. His mental and physical toughness was on an entirely different level. The man once did a 30 minute wall sit (after a long smoke session) so we could all go home early.

I often ask myself why I'm doing the entire 50 miles solo, and the only reason I keep coming to is because I think I can. I have never walked that far in a day, but I have done a few 25 mile days off-trail in the mountains with a pack on. I originally thought I would run it, but I hate running.

In preparation for the ruck race, I've changed up my exercise routine quite a bit. I just finished 60 days of a squat everyday program (which was pretty brutal, but awesome.) Now that I'm done with the squat everyday thing, I'm still doing leg day everyday, and I'm committing some serious time to burning some boot leather.

Its a good thing ID has plenty of places to stretch the legs and a variety of terrain to do it on. Last weekend my goal was to get as much elevation gain as possible. Yesterday the goal was to cover as many miles as possible. We had a few friends over for breakfast, so I couldn't hit the hills until the afternoon.

I found some cool stuff too.

You know you're in deep when you find sheds like this.

About 200yds after picking up the bigger shed, I walked up on a coyote den. There were at least 6 dogs on it, and I figured they would take off and run away. So instead of getting my rifle out of my pack, I snapped a few pics. Once I realized they weren't in a hurry to get out of there, I took my pack off and grabbed the rifle. I missed on my first shot at about 200yds, but then this female popped out of the ground and I was able to stop her at 100yds. The .257wby with 100gr TTSX's isn't a bad fur gun...

I'm pretty sure the animals in this corner of the world don't see too many people. They just stood and watched me as I walked by.

And the day wouldn't be complete without finding a birthday balloon in the middle of nowhere.

It was a pretty good day. I covered 14.5 miles in 7hrs. Next time I'll need to leave the binos in the truck if I want to start covering ground faster.

OP
Lostinthewoods
Being deployed right now is honestly awesome.
It's grooming me for my July OTC barbary sheep hunt.
It's been well over 100 degrees everyday.
So when I am out chasing barb in the same type of conditions it should be pretty nice!

I also picked up my Montana super tags today.
I now have Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana!!!
Maybe one year I'll draw one of these bad boys.

Over the last week and a half I've put on over 150 miles and only have 2 sheds from yesterday to show for it. Although, admittedly, I'm not really looking for sheds or in a good area to find them. The goal is to put miles on the boots and get into shape. I'm also trying to do my best taking pictures of all of the cool stuff I see. I figure eventually I'll learn how to take good ones.

My dog ~ "I'm not much of a shed hunter, but when I do, I find all of the chalks..."
1-_5063175_zps4akx9jvc.jpg

"And giant sheds..."
1-_5063179_zpsfbxixst2.jpg

1-_5063268_zpsi66fyahn.jpg

1-_5063216_zpsyeaqn0jb.jpg

1-_4223066_zpsktqofxme.jpg

1-_5063163_zpsevgndnrt.jpg

Hopefully, this week I will have the 4wd fixed on my truck so I can confidently head up to the mountains to get after some bear. If all goes well with the truck, I'll do a weekend solo trip either this upcoming weekend or next.

Last edited:
I got a nice package in the mail today.

74bd40e79d1943528559f7aac79bd4d5.jpg

The Barbary was a solo OTC hunt and a real ball buster. I had 3 bulging discs in my lower back from a hard landing, but didn't know it at the time. Oops.

The coyotes were from my first triple and a tournament hunt I did with a great friend.

I can't think of two better images to remind me of my time in NM... Barb are rugged critters, and every hunt I went after them was an adventure. And in my opinion there's no better symbol of the Llano Estacado than a male and female pair of coyotes. I spent many late nights at work listening to the serenade of countless yotes in the desert.

You probably don't hear it often, but I sure miss living in that flat barren wasteland.

Last edited:
OP
Lostinthewoods
Watching you post these pics has me dying to get back in the US!
I'm so ready for this "trip" to be over.

It's finally slowed down a bit so tonight I can check out the KY elk draws right after they happen.
I'm also putting in a small order on some fishing gear.
I think that June, July, and August will be nothing other than scouting, shooting, fishing, stand prep, running cameras, and more!
I CANNOT WAIT!

I got out and did some adventuring Saturday. (Adventuring is code for unsuccessful bear hunt) I did spot a bear, but it disappeared in a bout of snow, and I couldn't relocate it after I walked to the last known location. I also saw a lot of elk making their way back into the mountains. One of them was a young bull with a head start on his antler growth. I need to figure out what kind of supps he's been taking.

I put together a little video with some of the neat things I saw on may Neature walk
[video=youtube;8W3Ew2lqJ64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W3Ew2lqJ64[/video]

I was feeling a little down after checking the ID draw results and finding out I didn't draw.....

But then it dawned on me (in my sleep just a few minutes ago) that I plugged in the wrong number. I immediately woke up got my tag and put the correct license number in. (My wife thought there was some sort of emergency)

And to my surprise....
4c60bbef0d5638f70deec1493fa46225.jpg

Holy crap! I have a moose tag! Sure it's not for the "best" unit, but it's a tag in my pocket. And to me, that's better than not drawing for 30 years. I'd rather be in the game than watching from the stands. Even if that means I get my ass kicked. There's something to learn every time you're in the woods. I can't wait!

Dan's going to lose his mind as soon as he gets WiFi. The last time I messaged him I told him I didn't draw. So this will be a nice surprise.

So much for me having a chance at getting some sleep tonight before a long day and night at work tomorrow. ��

Last edited:
OP
Lostinthewoods
Here I was flying all night, thinking of ways we could put together another hunt,and you had moose the whole time!!!!!!
Wooohoooo!!!!!

I was not as lucky with the moose draw, but that's just fine. I've still got lots of other draws left that I'm waiting on results for and I've already got a full plate of OTC hunts!

Maybe I need to come be your pack mule, CJ!
Is that a general deer or elk unit? If so I have my annual license already paid for..... ;)

OP
Lostinthewoods
Well, I'm finally back from being overseas!
It was killing me not being able to contribute to this thread, but you guys know how it goes.... when Uncle Sam says go somewhere, you go.

So now that I'm back I plan on hitting the ground running.
I was given today and tomorrow off, so I am gonna shoot my bow and try to find the sheds of the large Florida buck I was chasing.

I walked about 4 miles today. I wasn't able to find his sheds, but I did find a nice old one.

I found it approximately 100 yards away from where I found this nice shed last year.

It almost looks like the same deer, but a year between them...

What do you think?

No big deer in Florida....

I'll keep hitting the spot where i know the big deer lives......
I NEED to get my hands on those horns.
If it's not by finding his sheds, it'll be this fall when I shoot him!!!!

Just because I'm TDY doesn't mean I can't still fling a few arrows

4f3c62de7c21986455095bd7f4dcb100.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
Lostinthewoods
I only have three WY deer points, but I applied today for unit 102, 105, and 101.
I'm not holding my breath, but I won't be upset if I draw any of those! I just have no idea how I'm gonna make the time :D lol