Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like

Idaho has been too good to me! My wife drew a 41 deer tag. I cannot wait to get out there and watch some rutting bucks in the desert. When I got here last November it was the first place I started wandering around trying to kill coyotes and hoping one of us would draw a tag for the unit.

I also got an unlimited archery antelope tag, and I'm very excited for that hunt as well. I'm going to try to setup my ground blind in a spot that I can take my daughter with. I have about a half dozen spots in mind. It would be a huge success if I can kill a pronghorn with the kid along.

Now that all of my draws are out, I need to finalize my plans. I need to figure out how to fit an elk, deer, antelope, moose, and controlled hunt deer tag into my fall. My wife also wants to try a late season cow hunt too... These are definitely first world problems, and I'm happy to have them.

Post Thanks / Like
    man I didn't know you guys were on here! just read the whole thread and enjoyed it all! its been good getting to know you all on IG and look forward to following here.

3. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanG505 View Post
    man I didn't know you guys were on here! just read the whole thread and enjoyed it all! its been good getting to know you all on IG and look forward to following here.
    I'm glad we all found each other on IG.... you and your buddy can appreciate a thread like this because you guys are doing the exact same thing....and doing it VERY well I might add. Hopefully we can all get together at some point, maybe put a big hurting on some barb!

We don't really talk about IG much on here or the thread much on IG because we don't wanna come off like "those guys."
    We are not trying to sell brand apparel, flat brimmed hats, and flare stickers.
    We just wanna hunt hard, kill stuff, and share stories!

I'm ready to get this year rolling!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent my four day weekend up in lovely NE KY this weekend!
    Got some great scouting, hiking, shooting, stand prep, lane trimming, and camera hanging in.

I can't even begin to tell you how excited KY gets me....
    It's a very target rich environment and I'm so excited to get out there and hunt some awesome areas.

Start of the trip

I will be hunting a mixture of both public and private while I'm out there.
    The private are I'm hunting is approximately 700 acres in a really cool area.
    It's got thick bedding areas, a beautiful little creek, some corn fields, and more.

I'll be trying something completely new this year and I'll be hunting over a creek pinch point.
    On one side of the creek it's super thick where the turkeys and deer bed down.
    Then on the other side of the creek it's great food sources.....

So I'll be setting up in some of these spots.

I've got a real good feeling about these crossing areas. Another cool thing about the creek is there was a lot of track that showed deer were using it to move not only too and from food, but that was their highway to other properties.
    So around the rut time frame, I am thinking that bucks will be cruising it looking for spots hot does crossed.

This property is super cool and is almost two levels. Down below is the crops, creek, and bedding.
    Then the upper level, up the hollows is some great giant white oaks.
    I found some EXTREMELY mature white oaks that will be loaded with acorns. They should be a great early season spot!

I found one little bench that had three mature white oaks that all had acorns starting.... I was so excited because tons of trails were transitioning over this spot..... it was so exciting until I found this......

I was so fricken mad!!!!! Land owner has been notified and I REALLY hope he sorts this out.
    Drives me nuts when people trespass and then do something like this.

No biggy.... I'm not letting that get me down. It will be dealt with and I am going to fill my tags in KY this year!
    I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!

Now I just need to get to July 6th to see if I drew any Oklahoma tags.
    Then it's LESS THAN 2 MONTHS UNTIL ARCHERY ELK!!!!!!!!

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO

End trip milage...... (I should have done a beginning journal mileage)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are following this thread you may have noticed that photobucket has done some crazy change and almost all of my photos are now not shown....
    I'm going to need to figure out how to get this fixed!
    Last edited by Lostinthewoods; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a fun weekend with the family up in my moose area. Aside from the extra long drive, the kiddos seemed to love every minute of it. I don't think I've seen my son so happy. He laughed, giggled, or was in awe of everything he saw. Despite the stress of getting there and back, it was well worth the effort. We didn't see any people while at our camp, and we had deer and elk around camp almost constantly.

It didn't take long for my son to figure out we were looking for strawberries.

My daughter was not convinced trillium would taste good, but she changed her mind pretty quick.

There's nothing like fresh wildberries and Haagen-Dazs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    We ended up camping not far away from a spring, so we had no shortage of critters passing through camp. These mule deer would come down to the spring to get water several times each day and didn't seemed bothered by us being there.

My dog was not sure what to think about all the animals milling around camp, but he did behave himself very well. With how many wolves are supposedly in the area, I was very surprised when the deer didn't mind my dog running around chasing butterflies like a fairy.

Last edited by sn.outdoors; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:16 AM.

9. Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mind is absolutely blown right now..... today Oklahoma released their controlled hunts and......
    I DREW AN ANTELOPE TAG! The best part is it bumps right up to my elk hunt!!!!
    It's almost like I plan these things to minimize leave time used

It's a doe only rifle tag and it's good for two doe antelope!!! SO EXCITED FOR SOME ANTELOPE MEAT!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I completed the first major stepping-stone in something that isn't normally my forte. 6 months ago an individual approached me with an idea to start a gun club which would use the bases off site range... The only thing required was someone to get it started. So I said sure, why not? How hard could it be?

Well, it certainly wasn't easy, and I needed the help of a lot of people who are smarter than me. I know it won't be simple from here on, but today we officially fired the first rounds down range as a club. It was quite the learning experience, and if you ask Dan he'll tell you just how frustrating it was at times. But I'm glad to say we're over the first big hurdles, and will soon be able to host a safe shooting location for the local area. I'm not sure where this thing will go from here, but I have high hopes for the club's future.

**disclaimer** the club is a private organization. It is not part of the Department of Defense or any of its components and it has no governmental status. Also, I swear, I'm not shooting the 2 liters 5yds away from me.

12. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow I'm heading to a promising spot. Not sure if there has ever been elk there or not.....

This spot is only 2.2 miles and 2100 feet away from where I hope to park. Fingers crossed the snow is finally cleared off the roads. Guess I'll find out tomorrow morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have enough lifetimes to explore each nook and cranny Idaho has. I think this spot had some serious potential. I'm amazed I saw moose, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, and elk all in the same valley. Such a diverse place.

This trail aught to be a good place to remember. I'm not much of a trail camera guy, but I had to put one on this to see what's going on.

Last edited by sn.outdoors; 6 Days Ago at 04:35 PM.

15. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The area does not lack steep terrain. More lunges, stair steppers, and squats are in my future.

17. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan's doing a 3d shoot today. I don't want to add any unnecessary pressure, but he guaranteed he wouldn't miss a single target. Average Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJ

Good luck out there Dan! Don't suck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I shot my first 3D shoot ever. I went into it with the goal of making sure I didn't miss any targets. Well, it was a success!!!! I had such a good time, I didn't miss any targets, and I shot well. I was 1 point away from third.

It was great to know that my bow and I are shooting well.... which is good because my hunt is 41 days away Average Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJAverage Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJAverage Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJIMG_1904.JPGIMG_1902.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post