Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Post Thanks / Like

After getting the elk out, drove quite a ways south to my favorite general store and got a post elk, post elk, victory snack!

IMG_2265 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

IMG_2267 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

These breakfast burritos are unmatched!
    I got the elk on ice and for the first time in the trip I was able to sit down and really enjoy myself.
    I took a shower, built me a campfire, and sipped on a tiny glass of victory scotch.... I didn't move from that spot for hours and it was the most relaxed I've been in a LONG time!

IMG_2293 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

The fun doesn't stop here though. The next morning I woke up early and took my buddy Ross out. We got set up on a bunch of different elk, but the wind that day was extremely swirly. We had some elk come in close and then of course the wind would shift...

Around 9AM we got a text...."bull down"! My buddy Travis had shot a nice 5x5 that he bugled in!
    So bull #2 was down in 2 days!

IMG_2270 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

IMG_9899 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

IMG_2277 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

IMG_2280 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    With elk on the ground the meals started!

IMG_2299 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

IMG_2302 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

IMG_2305 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

IMG_2306 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

First meal was tenderloins, potatoes, and onions!

IMG_2308 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

Second meal was tenderloins, green chili & garlic mashed potatoes, and bread sticks!

IMG_2310 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

Final meal was flour tortillas, green chili eggs with pepper jack cheese, and diced up brats. YUM!!!

With Irma heating up and my family being in Florida, I decided to get out of the mountains so I could be reached if anything happened.
    My wife told me they said our town wouldn't get hit, so she told me to go to Oklahoma and still hunt my antelope opener. If anything happened we could meet half way in Louisiana.

I packed up and left the beautiful mountains....

IMG_2311 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

IMG_2312 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

I'll miss you NM.... see you next month! Onward to Oklahoma!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oklahoma Antelope hunt

I got out to Oklahoma late Sunday night and met up with my buddy Matt who had the same antelope doe tag that I had.
    This was Matt's first western hunt and the first time he's chased anything other than whitetail. He had put a giant herd of antelope to bed on some private land that was surrounded by public.

We woke up early, got into place, and our day began!
    When the herd started standing up we were maybe 100-130 yards away from them.

IMG_2317 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

They were all calm at first, but then the does started playing around, bucks started pushing them, and does were going everywhere.
    I spotted one running our way and prepped Matt for the shot..... the doe entered public and Matt dropped her in place with an 80 yard shot!

IMG_2321 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

We celebrated, gutted her, and Matt got his first lesson on deboning an animal!

IMG_2327 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

We had to drive an hour away to check the animal in, so on the way there we grabbed a celebration treat and something to cool us down

IMG_2329 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

After we were all checked in we got back to it. We hit another piece of property and we found an antelope doe bedded down!
    It was VERY VERY VERY flat with no cover, so I decided to get as close as I could. If she let me get within an effective shooting range then I was going to shoot her.
    I got in and she stood up at 300 yards. Set up my sticks, picked my spot, and the rest was history!!!

IMG_2335 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

IMG_2366 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

Just like that we had both successfully tagged out on Oklahoma's opener!
    We ate antelope tenderloins for dinner, got a quick nap, and then I drove 18 hours home with coolers full of meat.

To say this wasn't an amazing trip would be an understatement.....

End mileage and end of trip.....

IMG_2345 by Daniel Porter, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Tonight after work, I'm going to continue fulfilling my childhood dreams by blitzing down to northern AZ to help one of my best friends with his elk hunt (this is if he doesn't kill an elk before I get there...) I've never wished for someone to not have success, but..... it would be fine with me if he didn't kill an elk today

I'll be down there until Thursday at the latest, then I'll putting in a few more miles trying to fill my antelope tag. I have a vendetta out for one of those buggers.

Post Thanks / Like
    GOOD MORNING ARIZONA!

I have pretty good 4g here, so I'll do my best to keep the action coming as close to love as possible. It's chilly, but so far no bugles.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Have fun, CJ! Tell Ryan I said good luck and to hurry up and kill.... that way you can go chase antelope. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    My cell service is not nearly as good as I had originally thought it would be, but I'm sitting in a decent spot right now so I figured I'd pass along an update.

The rut activity has been..... slow. There's been very little bugling, and the elk seem to be spread pretty thin. We didn't see any elk yesterday, and I didn't even hear a bugle. Which, to my disappointed, was the first day I've spent hunting elk and not seen an elk. Oh well I guess. I know we're in a good spot, we just weren't in THE spot yesterday.

This morning started off a little rough. I woke up to my alarm and heard coyotes singing back and forth to each other, and they serenaded me right back to sleep... I woke up about 40 minutes later to be my buddy giving me crap about sleeping in. No worries though, I had all my stuff ready the night before, so I threw on my clothes and boots and was tripping over myself in just a few minutes and was going.

When we got to where my buddy had heard some bugles the night before, I realized k I forgot my bugle tube back at camp.... So we took full advantage of our RZR's awesome suspension system and power, but we were back to the spot just as light was breaking through.

We walked a little ways and we heard a bugle, and I responded. There were bugles in 3 directions and we picked the direction that had the biggest terrain feature. It sounded like the bugle was a long ways off, so we beat feet quick. Not more than 300yds into the walk my buddy had to perform and emergency bowel evacuation, and while he was taking care of it the bull bugled twice more; still very far off. So responded with a bugle, which was quickly answered by the bull. I moved to a spot that gave me a good view of the hillside and meadow the sounds were coming from. It was still fairly dark at this time, but I could vaguely see the outlines of a handful of elk about 1000yds away. I quickly figured out which one was the bull because he was considerably larger than the rest of the animals. I couldn't quite make out his antlers yet, but I could see he had a HUGE frame.

By the time my buddy was done, we could see that the bull was a mature bull with wide and tall antlers, and more importantly it was in a very stalk-able spot. So we started our flanking maneuver to try and cut them off.

We got to where we wanted to be and setup to call. I let out a few cow calls and raked a tree. Seconds later the bull responded, and I cut him off with a bugle. To which he responded. Awesome! We thought. A couple seconds later he was a few hundred yards closer and bugled at us again from the top of the ridge. It couldn't have been working out any better. I called a little, he'd call back. That went on for a minute or so when we heard a few cow calls near the bull. He went quiet then bugled at us from the other side of the ridge.... His cows pulled him away from us and we had no chance of keeping up. We followed the heard for a few hundred yards before we backed off. It was too thick and too flat to see much of anything, and we didn't get the sense the animals were spooked.

And that brings me to where I am right now. My buddy is sitting a waterhole nearby, and I'm up above where we last saw the bull. I heard him bugle twice so far and I think it's just a matter of time before he steps out.

Wish us luck, and happy new moon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Some before season and current pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk