2017 Colorado Shama-Llama-BANG Elk hunt Bow/ML

snomoB

FNG
Hello all, my name is Mark (Snomob). After lurking for years, it is now time for me to contribute.
I am starting a live hunt thread of my backcountry elk hunt with a buddy.

We left this morning at 5am from Chad's house in north Denver to first pick up the llamas he rented. After that and a little rush hour traffic we started climbing into the hills.

Getting the llamas (2) loaded up was simple as Chad had pre-loaded the pack sacks (pan-whatevers) so we hit the trail without incident.

Out at camp now, the llamas did a great job. I was huffing and puffing with my load and Chad had only 20 lbs on his back. A huge difference in my opinion now looking at those animals.

I will post more later, and hopefully some pics.

OP
snomoB

snomoB

FNG
Well here I am, day four. This hunt has been a blast so far. I'm sitting in an old ground blind I found about 12 years ago. I plan to call from here until the elk walk by. We have had lots of action.

Chad missed a deer on Saturday at 45 yards in the dark timber. (I forgot he got a muzzle load buck tag as well) He also saw several groups of bucks above tree line. The one he missed was the biggest, he was on his way back up to glass when this giant was standing on the game path, he was rushed for a shot through a small window, hit a tree.

Sunday we got lots of rain, like 8 hours that night and a little throughout the day. The night rain was hard, hardest I've had up here this time of year. We are staying in an 8 man tipi from SO with the stove. We both love the setup, but our pitch site could have been more thought out. We have a small hill that runs to one door of the tipi, so a small ditch needed to be dug to route the water. The stove works awesome and dries everything out quickly.

The elk started bugling yesterday morning pre dawn, got us up as he passed by our camp. We got into a screaming match with him about 6:30 that morning, but he had his cows moving out and we couldn't turn him. Later that afternoon I cow called while still hunting my way back to camp and got within 20yds of a 5x5. He saw me nock and turn before I could make out where he was. It was super fun though.

This morning was more of the same, the elk bugling to wake us up at 4:30. We chased down the herd and got in real close this time. It was my turn as shooter and MAN! Was that fun! The bull in charge was inside 40yds held up is a small tight stand of spruce. Chad was calling behind me for over 30 minutes before the bull finally started to move. I saw his back and rear at 45yrd but had no clear shooting lane. A cow and calf finally busted us as the bull moved the here down the ridge. There was a satellite bull screaming as well but we couldn't get him to move closer.

Later this morning I got into it with two separate bulls but the midday winds got me both times. I saw one of their cows as she was moving through the trees, but still no shot.

I am really encouraged by all the action. This is more than most years. Hopefully one of these guys stops by tonight.

Thanks for reading, I will try to update soon.

Mark