Lane’s Antelope Hunt.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I will recap it up tonight. We have to hurry up so lane can go to school tomorrow. Proud of Lane because he made a good shot in a bad setup. Also the SIG KILO 2400 is worth its weight in gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a sweet buck love how tall he is above the cutter that's not typically how they grow around here

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Excuse my ignorance here, what kind of rifle scope is that? And congrats on a dandy speed goat.

Slim Jim

WKR
Awesome!! Good job guysthat's a nice goat. Some great meat in the freezer right there!

Thanks Ryan, I know a lot of the guys were confused about the scope..... cough cough cough. It was obviously a huskemaw

Stid2677

WKR
Awesome,, that looks like a great buck to me. Don't worry about the hole, nothing thread and money can't fix, ask me how I know. :)

Well done guys, best to ya on the elk hunt.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Sometimes you just get lucky! My wife had an elk tag in this unit two years ago. She passed up a bull in the very drainage that Lane shot the buck in. In fact, the only reason I parked in this spot is that I remembered a little grassy area at the bottom of the drainage and we would not make it down there till after dark to look for another spot to camp. So we park there, put up a little camp and went to bed. The next morning I get out of bed and look up the drainage and say 'holy shit those are antelope up there". Pull out the spotter and glass up the buck, now remember I know jack about Antelope but I remember thinking he looks tall. I watched him for a bit took a few pics while packing up camp. The rest of the morning we glass up several other groups with bucks but nothing as tall as the camp buck. We also check the rifles zero.

With a starving 17-year-old kid, we rolled over to Ketchum for some breakfast. During breakfast, I received several texts from people that hunt in that unit, one being Kenton from First Lite telling me that I better sit on that buck. After Lane said, he was done.... The kid can eat. We drove back to the camp buck and to my surprise, they only move a hundred yards. We watched that buck and glassed the surrounding mountains for the rest of the day.

We camped one drainage over that night, got up just before daylight, packed up. Drove to the drainage threw on our packs and started hiking up the ridge directly across from them. We hiked to a little bench that I found on OnXmaps and peaked over the ridge. They were literally in the same spot from the morning before but were still about thousand yards out. We continued up the far side of the ridge about five hundred more yards and peaked over again. The antelope had moved about hundred yards towards us. I told Lane to hurry and set up. I ranged the buck at 460 yards, telling Lane what to dial to and told him to shoot when the buck turns broadside. During this time Lane tells me the buck is running. I get back in the binos, and the buck is running after a doe to get her back into the heard. The buck runs up to the doe jabs her in the butt, and she takes off like a rocket and runs past the heard which spooks all of them, they get out of their beds and run with her down the draw. Right under the curve of the ridge so we can no longer see them....DAMN it! I stand up hoping they don't run far, luckily they only ran about two hundred yards and stopped. So we get back up go back down to the bench we originally glassed them on, and I don't see them! I keep inching out and finally spot them up the draw in the exact spot they had just run from. So yep, we walk back up the ridge to the original setup. In that ten minutes, they feed toward the bottom of the hill we are on making us crawling further off the ridge to keep them in sight. The biggest issue was like a bull elk the buck would not stop moving. Lane would set up on the buck, and he would move out of sight, we would move again and set up, and the buck would run and check another doe. We crawled out as far as we could before the hill was too steep to crawl any further and finally some of the does started feeding away from us. Two of them feed into clear sight. I told Lane to get ready. On cue, the buck walked out to check the does. I told Lane to get ready. Now Lane shoots a lot, so when he told me he couldn't get on the buck, I was like what the hell. I was concentrating so hard on the buck I forgot how steep the hill had gotten. I quickly grabbed my bino harness and jacket and threw it under his bipod giving him just enough height to get on the buck. I asked Lane if he was stable he said "Dad let me kill this buck" I said are you sure there is a little grass in front of you. He said, "Let me shoot." I lazed the buck again with the Sig told him the dial-up and wind hold. He said on him; I said shoot. I didn't even get sh out before he broke the trigger. The buck looked like he was hit with a lightning bolt and the rest is history. My only mistake was telling him to shoot him in the shoulder because that's exactly where he hit him!

The Buck was shot at 514 yards with a Redrock Precision 28 Nosler with a 180g Berger VLD.
Lane's Antelope 17
7b3Mls0.jpg

3dCdgAH.jpg

gb3bkf9.jpg

He also drew a bull elk tag that starts next week. I will try to do another live hunt if I have cell service. Thanks for following along.