First-time DIY Wyoming Antelope/Mule Deer

Decided to take the plunge this year and chase some western game with my little brother. Found some units in Wyoming that we figured we could draw with no points, applied, and both drew antelope and deer. Spent the summer picking spots out with on-x and accumulating gear, and finally got to head out last week!

It was immediately obvious that there were tons of animals all around, but that in order to find them on public, we'd need to get away from the roads. We packed in camp a couple miles into a nasty stretch of blm that we figured nobody else would try to get into, and had about 8 thousand acres to ourselves. We had a lot of experience spot-and-stalk hunting for whitetails, so the actual hunting wasn't too different, it was just amazing to see some of the places mule deer bucks would bed. Truly impossible spots to stalk in on, and we got busted a couple times early.

Antelope doesn't seem to be too difficult with a rifle, and we both filled those tags by day 3, without taking a shot over 200 yards. I actually waved to the herd and they came closer to investigate my shiny white hand in the sunlight. They're super cool animals, a blast to hunt, and delicious sauteed with onions and mushrooms (we packed in a little heavy and it was worth every ounce). We had backstraps, tenderloins, and hams for dinner every night for the rest of the hunt.

We packed out on day 4 and drove to a different part of the unit to try and fill our deer tags. We could drive to the new spot, so we camped by the truck and didn't have to deal with the grueling packs in/out. Spotted a bunch of deer on day 5 and made plans to tag out on day 6, but they didn't show up in the morning. Spotted some bucks in a sage flat around 2 pm and started a long, slow stalk that ended with the first deer of the trip.

The second deer was a little easier, as he was down in a steep draw feeding and not paying much attention. We butchered them up that night and put them in the cooler, and headed back to Texas the next morning.

We had such a fun hunt, and even though none of the animals were giants, they're still trophies to us. I will definitely be hunting more public land out west, and if anyone has recommendations for a good combination hunt (deer and another animal) I'm all ears!

I'll figure out how to post the pictures from my phone in a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 869
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:

hi2u

FNG
Looks like fun! Idaho offers Elk/Deer combo tags for 450.

Whats the wy Deer/Antelope combo tag cost?

OP
T
Wow that's a steal! WY NR Deer was ~$350 and NR Antelope was ~$300 if I remember right.

topher89

WKR
Awesome!

A friend and I are planning the same trip for next year. We haven't picked our units quite yet but want to do a deer/antelope combo hunt. This thread is proof it can be done!

weaver

WKR
Looks like fun! Idaho offers Elk/Deer combo tags for 450.

Whats the wy Deer/Antelope combo tag cost?
More like $850 unless I'm missing something.

OP Looks like you had a great time! Congrats

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Merc

FNG
That's awesome, Congrats to both of y'all. Wish I'd had the foresight like y'all to pull a deer tag when I went up there for my antelope hunt. Won't be making that mistake again.

OP
T
Thanks everyone! We're looking into either a Kodiak Island blacktail hunt or a combo mule deer/black bear hunt in Montana for next year. Anyone have any advice on those?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Decided to take the plunge this year and chase some western game with my little brother. Found some units in Wyoming that we figured we could draw with no points, applied, and both drew antelope and deer. Spent the summer picking spots out with on-x and accumulating gear, and finally got to head out last week!

It was immediately obvious that there were tons of animals all around, but that in order to find them on public, we'd need to get away from the roads. We packed in camp a couple miles into a nasty stretch of blm that we figured nobody else would try to get into, and had about 8 thousand acres to ourselves. We had a lot of experience spot-and-stalk hunting for whitetails, so the actual hunting wasn't too different, it was just amazing to see some of the places mule deer bucks would bed. Truly impossible spots to stalk in on, and we got busted a couple times early.

Antelope doesn't seem to be too difficult with a rifle, and we both filled those tags by day 3, without taking a shot over 200 yards. I actually waved to the herd and they came closer to investigate my shiny white hand in the sunlight. They're super cool animals, a blast to hunt, and delicious sauteed with onions and mushrooms (we packed in a little heavy and it was worth every ounce). We had backstraps, tenderloins, and hams for dinner every night for the rest of the hunt.

We packed out on day 4 and drove to a different part of the unit to try and fill our deer tags. We could drive to the new spot, so we camped by the truck and didn't have to deal with the grueling packs in/out. Spotted a bunch of deer on day 5 and made plans to tag out on day 6, but they didn't show up in the morning. Spotted some bucks in a sage flat around 2 pm and started a long, slow stalk that ended with the first deer of the trip.

The second deer was a little easier, as he was down in a steep draw feeding and not paying much attention. We butchered them up that night and put them in the cooler, and headed back to Texas the next morning.

We had such a fun hunt, and even though none of the animals were giants, they're still trophies to us. I will definitely be hunting more public land out west, and if anyone has recommendations for a good combination hunt (deer and another animal) I'm all ears!

I'll figure out how to post the pictures from my phone in a bit.
Congrats, great trip!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be happy with any of those bucks! Great story! Like topher89, a buddy and I are headed up there next year. I don't think I'll be doing a combo though on the first year, although I have some time to think about it! Being around sub 130" whitetails mostly in Oklahoma, I'd probably end up shooting the first muley buck I saw!

Congrats on the double!

NewGuy

FNG
Congrats on your hunt! I’m pretty new to this I noticed you said you used on-x to search for spots. What is that?