My first elk hunt, in progress.

Well opener is tomorrow and I thought it may be fun to share since I have cell reception. I am in central AZ hoping to tag my first bull elk.

I got here yesterday evening to try and get one located. No luck yet though. About to head up into this area for the night. I want to be up and ready in the AM in case a bull gets pushed up.
545143ad6b2bf3d21bb6beb3d61775de.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Nothing spotted yet. I'm up higher now. Going to stay here where I can watch off both sides of this saddle in the morning. Unfortunately there is a atv trail up here that is not an open road. Hope no one decides to drive up here.
12d076b8f835162dc5517bbd074f0a71.jpg

OP
MuleyFever
This deer played along this morning and came in but no elk. Talked to a local that lives in the area and he said elk sightings are down. It's been really dry here. So my plan is just to keep moving around and gassing.

Sorry, its a pic of my cameras screen.
f028918cc8b118dad0dcfd986abcd4aa.jpg

Shrek

WKR
Good hunting ! If it’s really dry find some water. Especially water on or near a north slope. If it has been dry there will be little water in their food and will be even more dependent on a water source.

OP
MuleyFever
Last night I hiked into a spot and set up above a tank so I could see the area around. Glassed it last night and this morning but nothing. I still have not found any fresh droppings and the tracks could be from 6 weeks ago with the lack of rain. I'm going to hit one more spot then move a ways toward the river.

There is actually water all over. Plenty of tanks with water in them.

OP
MuleyFever
Ever been looking for something for so long you begin to wonder if you will remember what it looks like when you do find it?

OP
MuleyFever
I am pretty sure I just watched this guy bed down. He was pawing at the dirt for a bit and I have not seen him come out. Not big but if they say don't pass on the first day one you would take on the last then I don't think I should pass on the 4th day either. Well see how it plays out. Still lots of ground to cover and a swirling wind.
16186b4f77aece10bbffebb2da77c0de.jpg

If he is comfortable and Randy Newberg isn't in that area , keep an eye on him but also look out for more- they are there.
I love these updated semi live type hunts.
Keep the posts coming. All of us poor fools are back to work and hitting the regular cycle again wishing we were out hiking looking for elk.

I just found out I may not get down to AZ to finish my deer hunt this month.
You may be my only hope.
lol

OP
MuleyFever
So I got above where he was and nothing. He slipped out on me some where along the way. I watched him paw and thought he bedded but maybe I was wrong. He was barely visible through the tree tops so when he disappeard he may have actually droped into the timber.

OP
MuleyFever
Got a shot off but I think I rushed it. He was walking through the brush and I had a small window.