Slim’s (Jimmy Tippetts) annual live AZ deer hunt!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Oh man! Another water trough down low. I just glassed it up hahaha. Now I know why I haven’t seen any deer. My camp is about about 5+ miles north of all this water.
e884c119f078df41a400caf747311aaa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Here’s a spike mule deer doing look out duty. There’s probably a big buck with does behind that tree
6c4b766ac536b125dc9639d2336806d6.jpg

He’s been rotating 90 degrees every couple minutes lol.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I just located another herd. If you look close there is a fork on the left looking out and 2 does over to the right looking. I’m sure there is more in those trees. Maybe a big one in there, we’ll see. Dam it! I’m looking for coues hahaha but I’d shoot a muley if he slips up
ec52fe6c6d662772384a3e3f39bdca83.jpg

hobbes

WKR
Good luck. I don't think I could hold off on a good muley this late in the hunt.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Loving the pics jimmy! Keep them coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
A HUGE reason why I like to hunt deer alone- #1 no talking! I can hear some hunters across the canyon talking

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
A must have for stalking in the desert! I put on the moccasins then thick socks over
eadcc6899048a677a523e84021ef65da.jpg

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thought I’d stalk in close to those deer before they get up and feed. It’s already been over an hour and I have only gotten about 100 yards. I can only move when a plane flies overhead. I’m not sure if there is anything worth shooting with the herd but why not set up just in case. I probably won’t be able to get in closer than 100 yards so I’ll have to wait it out and hope the feed my way. Gotta go there’s a plane!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Well one those other hunters came down on them or they just got tired of hearing them talk. They single filed right below me at 150 yards. There were 4 - 3x3 bucks and a spike with 5 does. One of the 3 points was heavy and about 24 in wide. I probably would’ve shot him had they walked by me. They went into the cut I was originally going to go into but I decided to take the higher cut. Hahaha always works that way don’t it? That’s alright at least there was finally some action!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I met those other guys on the way out and they turned out to be pretty cool guys. They are from California and it’s their first time here in AZ. Funny that they have never been here and they just so happened to work the right/only spot for mule deer in this area. They picked a spot on the map and it worked out for them. I told them not to worry about me going back in there because I’m heading high tomorrow for coues. I’ve got to get to bed early tonight because I’m getting up EARLY. It’s happening tomorrow!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Another day of work
565d2efd11427af69dc03f0ac43c01c1.jpg

I won’t post these anymore, I just wanted to show some of the new guys what it takes sometimes to get it done.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I’m taking off now! Should get there an hour before light. Let’s hope they come home to papa 🤞

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Do these dam deer ever leave this bowl? I got in almost 2 hours before light hiking in by moonlight. When I got here I took off my pack and pulled out my change of shirt because I was sweaty. Sure wish I had a tan because when I took off my shirt, my pale ass in the moonlight lit up and next thing I hear are hooves trotting off no more than 100-150 yards away. UNREAL! Still going to wait it out but not looking good

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Just as I thought nothing came back but they will. I made a makeshift camp and mini blind. This is last ditch effort. It’s impossible to put on a stalk here with how dry and quiet it is so I must ambush. This is where I’ll stay for the next 24 hours. #dowhateverittakes
2f8cd9872493018f38f87e2841640643.jpg

5a310107b23de493fa311797e459aa22.jpg